The Ike Group Forum

The Ike Group's Mission is to guide, inform, and provide expertise as the complete Eisenhower dollar resource.
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:57 am 

I finished writing my first numismatic book,The Dwight D. Eisenhower Appreciation Medals. The book is based on documents from the White House, US Treasury Department, and US Mint in Philadelphia. These documents were part of a working file belonging to a top military aide on President Eisenhower's White House Staff. The file was kept by the military aide. After his death, his papers were passed to his son. After the son passed, all papers were turned over to the Dwight D. Eisenhower (D.D.E.) Presidential Library.

In 2011, all papers belonging to the military aide completed processing into the D.D.E. Presidential Library. In 2013, I obtained copies of the top military aides papers. This means that the information presented here is previously unknown or known to a limited number of numismatists. What information?

Under direction from the White House, 17 different medals were stuck by the US Mint in Philadelphia for use by President Eisenhower. Both Gilroy Roberts and Frank Gasparro had designed the medals. To my knowledge, my book is the first to define/document the entire D.D.E. 17 medal series.

President Eisenhower presented these medals to deserving individuals in thankful recognition for service to our nation, the White House, or the Presidency. These are the original "Ikes" handed out by President Eisenhower himself or by his personal direction through his top military aides. These medals were called by many terms in the military aides papers:

1. Silver pieces for the President
2. Special medal
3. Pocket pieces
4. Appreciation pieces
5. D.D.E. appreciation pieces (medallions)
6. Silver medallions
7. Pocket pieces for President Eisenhower
8. Silver discs
9. Silver coins
10. Coin mementos

This Presidential provenance limits availability to collectors as these medals are treated as presidential heirlooms by the original recipient's family. Also, several of the medals were presented to foreign nationals during Eisenhower's multi-nation trips and reside overseas.

There are three classes of the medals: US Half-Dollar Size, US Silver Dollar size, and Inaugural Medal size. The inaugural medal size is the 1957 US Mint Eisenhower inauguration medal with a blank reverse. The blank reverse have 3 distinct inscriptions, recipient's name, and a facsimile signature of Dwight D. Eisenhower.

The US silver dollar size medals is of interest to this group as it the same metal content and size as a US Morgan or Peace silver dollar and were struck from January 1960 through August 1960 at the US Mint in Philadelphia There are 10 types of 38.1 mm D.D.E. medals (2 different obverse designs and 8 different reverse designs). One die pair was struck in gold. Four silver dollar size medals (USSR, Formosa (Taiwan), Philippines, and Alaska) were originally ordered by the White House and later cancelled.

I have cataloged the 17 medals as DDE-01 through DDE-017. A total of 9,858 medals were struck at the US Mint in Philadelphia. 1,451 medals were destroyed before the end of President Eisenhower's 2nd term in office. This destruction inventory and its quantities are key information as it defines the rarity of the medals. 160 medals are part of the D.D.E. Presidential Library.

I attached a few examples of the medals and a few US government memos. Image of DDE-02 (1959 reverse) is the rarest US half-dollar size medal with a population of 436. Image of DDE-08 (Hawaii reverse) is the 5th rarest of the 10 US Silver Dollar size medals, with a remaining population of 267. Lower right memo provides a redacted glimpse of the medal types.

Image of DDE-08. This is the first US mint coin to reference the State of Hawaii (hawaii join the Union in 1959). Original mintage is 400. 150 were destroyed at the end of President Eisenhower's 2nd term in office. 28 are permanently interned in museum collections. Only 267 are available to collectors. This is the 5th rarest of the US Silver Dollar size series.

Look for the book and use the information to locate these medals with Presidential provenance. The Dwight D. Eisenhower Appreciation Medals. book is now available athttps://www.createspace.com/4640273

Attachments:
File comment: Reverse of DDE-08
ike2.jpg
ike2.jpg [ 120.37 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]
File comment: Obverse of DDE-08
ike1.jpg
ike1.jpg [ 145.5 KiB | Viewed 3518 times ]
File comment: Example medals and sampling of US Government memos (I performed the redaction.). Double click to increase size.
TheBook1.jpg
TheBook1.jpg [ 783.25 KiB | Viewed 3651 times ]
File comment: The "destruction memo". (I performed the redaction.) Double click to increase size.
destroy.jpg
destroy.jpg [ 374.66 KiB | Viewed 3651 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:22 pm 

I nicknamed these the Hawaiian Ike.

This video somewhat provide details on DDE-C2-07.

You will have to stop the video to review the details of the presented documentation (some are eye openers..content...not visually).

https://youtu.be/GQ98T2H1VhQ

Last edited by DrDarryl on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:32 pm 

I present the entire Presidential Medal of Appreciation Eisenhower Class 2 award medals.

Same fineness, weight, and diameter as a US Morgan and Peace silver dollar.

Smooth edge. The existing US Morgan/Peace silver dollar collars was smooth out to give the medal a smooth edge.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:03 pm 

"An original Ike, that was handed out by Ike himself!"

This is a Presidential Medal of Appreciation Eisenhower Class 1 award (From my completed research, I know that the U.S. Mint has never and will not provide general numismatic information of these medals). Therefore, I created a medal name for the medals. The chain of production was the U.S. Mint/Philadelphia Mint/White House Office and were the White House Office controlled the design and development effort. This medal has a large 1959 centered on the reverse and is cataloged as DDE-C1-02.

This is an intact presentation set that was obtained from a collector in France. The medal is the size of a half dollar and a little thicker. The set contains a White House envelope, gold edge thick card with Dwight D. Eisenhower signature, and the Class 1 medal. Each presidential seal has 49 stars. The text on the card reads "A small token of my gratitude for your helpfulness". The card and half dollar size "token" ties the set together. The signature makes the set go over the top....

So far this is the only intact presentation set known to exist (reason for one of my website's url being plastered all over it).

If you are attending the Baltimore Expo (Mar 31st - Apr 3rd, 2016) you will a six case exhibit that focuses on this Class 1 medal as part of the MSNA exhibits.

Last edited by DrDarryl on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:20 pm 

The X'ed image is currently the only known "Summer White House" medal set that has been formed.

Newport Rhode Island was location of Eisenhower's Summer White House. No other U.S. President has "Summer White House" medals.

The reverse of the half dollar medal was NOT engraved by the U.S. Mint. A jeweler in the Pentagon performed the engraving. You now see one of the reasons the U.S. Mint will not acknowledge these medals. They functioned under White House direction and have no idea what was done (engraving) nor where they were issued nor who was awarded the medal. Many of the medals were first issued outside the USA.

As a side note: The June 1960 medal is cataloged in several Philippines coin/medal catalogs (since it was awarded in the Philippines).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:00 am 

This is an interesting 1960 news article that actually describes the obverse. I placed a few specimens below the news article.

Last edited by DrDarryl on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:03 am 

This are copies of Frank Gasparro's sketches of his "Class 2 medal" design from the National Archives.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:53 am 

This is another 1960s news article that describes Ike's medal. It's a wonder how these medals slipped by without being fully cataloged by numismatists for over a half-century.