1971 D Triple TH Die Clash?

Post pictures, comments and questions about this category of Ikes (Die clash overlay diagram inside)
stldanceartist

1971 D Triple TH Die Clash?

Post by stldanceartist » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Good morning everyone!

I posted this yesterday, but the thread has mysteriously disappeared...so I'm thinking it got lost in whatever site updates were happening. Let's try this again.

I found this really cool 1971 D Ike with what looks like a Triple Talon Head die clash. I can't really find another instance of this pattern happening, so I thought I'd post it here and get some information/thoughts/opinions. (Fair disclosure - I've already gotten some feedback over at CoinTalk - the recommendation is to send it to ANACS for attribution and grading.)

I have done my best with the camera/lighting equipment at hand. The photos aren't perfect, but they should be good enough. :)
Triple Talon Head Ike 1.jpg
1971 D Ike Dollar Triple TH - TH.jpg
1971 D Ike Dollar Triple TH.jpg
Upon closer inspection, this coin might also have a Moon Line...(didn't know that existed until just now...) What do you think?
1971 D Ike Dollar Triple TH - Moon Line.jpg

What do you think? Triple TH? Rarity? Approximate grade? Approximate Value?

(Just trying to gauge how excited I should be for picking this out of a pile of basically face value coins...)

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: 1971 D Triple TH Die Clash?

Post by AndyO » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:16 pm

That's a great clash. I haven't seen one with a spread like that and that crisp in a long time. As far as value, I 'd put it at a whopping $25.00; I don't see the coin as anything more that a MS64 from your pictures, and the entire world could care less about a clashed Ike unless you're an actual Ike collector - and know what you're looking at.

That being said, it's a REALLY neat/nice example of a triple talon head clash with what I would call a huge spread - makes it fairly unique. Often times the spread is that small that the clashes overlap one another. Hang on to it and enjoy it.

Thanks for posting.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

stldanceartist

Post by stldanceartist » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Do you mind explaining in a bit more detail exactly what you think may be responsible for the clashes (which reverse devices?) on this particular coin?

stldanceartist

Post by stldanceartist » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 pm

So far, then, this coin has:

*Triple Talon Head with a very wide spread
*Moon Line
*Hair Lip (pointed out by Rick Stachowski over at CT...I didn't even see it!)

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:25 pm

The clash comes from the area between the Eagle's talons on the reverse. Take a look at our site here: http://hermes.csd.net/~coneca/content/T ... h32007.pdf. It's an old writing at this point, but Figure 1 will give you what you need to see to understand.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:23 pm

stldanceartist wrote:Do you mind explaining in a bit more detail exactly what you think may be responsible for the clashes (which reverse devices?) on this particular coin?
1) More on Ike clashes on the Ike Group home page.

2) pretty nice wide spread triple TH :!:

3) very nice photos - thanks for posting
Steve Palladino

stldanceartist

Post by stldanceartist » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:55 am

Gentlemen,

I have to admit - those were REALLY helpful links. Thank you!

Return to “Die clash images for talon head (TH), hair lip (HL) jaw line (JL), moon line (ML) upside down U (UDU), and clipped E (EC)”