1971-S proof different mintmarks or just die states?

Post pictures, comments and questions about any other recognized or proposed die-state varieties
Sumdunce

1971-S proof different mintmarks or just die states?

Post by Sumdunce » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:56 pm

I noticed what appeared to be two types of mintmarks on 1971-S proof Ikes quite a while ago and left them in the safe. Since I have been off work I decided to clean house on the safe and get rid of the odds and ends that do not "fit" in my collection and ran across them again.

I believe that the only way to be able to know for sure would be to lay the images of one over the other and look for differences in curvatures. What is most notable about them is the flat high shine area in the upper and lower loops of the first mintmark that are not flat and frosted in the other.

Here are the images, what do you think?
71S_proofT1_001.jpg
Early type of mintmark or just late die state?
71S_proofT1_001.jpg (3.95 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
71S_proofT2_001.jpg
Looks more like the 1972-S proof mintmark.
71S_proofT2_001.jpg (5.34 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
V/R

Sumdunce
Eschew obfuscation!

19Lyds

Re: 1971-S proof different mintmarks or just die states?

Post by 19Lyds » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:05 am

I'm surprised nobody has responded to this LaMont.

I've seen quite a few 1971-S MM's and that top one looks to different than any I've ever seen. Almost clear in the areas between the curves.

As for the die state, use the rest of the coin to make that determination.

For complete documentation, perhaps Rob should photograph this one?
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:04 am

I ordered a digital imager last night and hopefully I will be able to capture images of the mintmarks to overlay and compare.

I am thinking that the strike to set the mintmark varied on the same mintmark punch and therefore gave a clear and filled mintmark impression on the coins produced.

However, still will investigate just in case.

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:07 pm

LaMont, sorry I missed this post!

I think the two S's could be the same, the top is just a lighter strike of the punch die. Not at all secure about this judgement. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman