NEW (?) DIE GOUGE

Post pictures, comments and questions about any other recognized or proposed die-state varieties
robEzerman

NEW (?) DIE GOUGE

Post by robEzerman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:51 pm

71-S SP, reverse.

"WITH LOVE, FROM THE BOYS IN THE DIE SHOP"

Rob
Attachments
DSCN0455.JPG
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

shasta7

Re: NEW (?) DIE GOUGE

Post by shasta7 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:57 am

Looks like more of those moon worms or moon moles... lol

shasta7

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:06 pm

No way. That's the sprinler system for the green in preparation of Allen Shepard's round of golf.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 am

Andy! darned if that thing doesn't look "mechanical". As it lays on the surface of the moon, what else could it be but a temporary sprinkler system?

For a short handle, all I've been able to come up with is "Ball Return", thinking of the crater as Alan's target. . . Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

shasta7

Post by shasta7 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Rob... in a weird kind of way that makes sense...

If the crater is the whole... I think I can even make a hole-in-one... lol
tz

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:50 pm

I just remembered that the Astronauts did in fact play a little golf on the moon and while the die gouge reference as an irrigation line might be done in jest, the existance of the Hole Flag may not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZLl3XwlAIE
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:24 pm

Lee and Shasta7, "Ball Return" is growing on me as it reinforces some pertinent history including the question, as Lee points out, if the flag was purposely ambiguous as to whether three sided (implying a golf hole) or four sided, representing the American flag the astronauts planted, or both? Rob

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:24 am

You mean I have to go through all those 71-S Proofs again!?!? :shock:
Is it a PL or serif R?...Might cut down on the time factor.... :roll:

Happy Hunting!
Brian

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 am

Brian, mine is in Early Die State with about the plumpest SPL I've encountered.

Also, checked two other 71-S Proofs, one a Funny Foot, one another Peg Leg and both have part of the "Ball Return" if you look closely. Also, with suitable lighting it almost looks as the tube continues across the near wall of the crater.

The obverse of this proof is very cool as teeny triple doubling can be seen at highest mag, would have washed out in a few strikes.

Lastly, acclaimed Vam-sleuth Cal posted a while back that he saw the image of a man on the reverse near FG? Look closely at the flag pole. . .

Rob
Attachments
DSCN0467.JPG
DSCN0485.JPG
PIPE LINE
DSCN0486.JPG
PARTIAL PIPE LINE
DSCN0481.JPG
DSCN0479.JPG

Texas

Post by Texas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Cool looking find Rob, but either the sprinkler got left on too long or they drilled for water and got a heck of a gusher because as you can see from this Ike here they got more water than they anticipated. The flag looks to be pretty well drenched as well. :o

This Ike below is one the few different heavily polished 1971 SP reverses where the flag/moon area and lower moon surfaces like around the craters have been severely diminished, leaving little more than smooth polished fields. Thankfully the water hazard developed after Alan Shepard got his round in. Question is... did he use an 8 iron or 6 iron? :lol:
water.jpg
Yes Virginia, there is water on the moon. ;)
I'm intrigued the most by what I know the least about... at least until I know more. - J. Owens