THE TIGER CLAW IKE DIE-STATE VARIETY

Post pictures, comments and questions about any other recognized or proposed die-state varieties
robEzerman

THE TIGER CLAW IKE DIE-STATE VARIETY

Post by robEzerman » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:55 am

Time to add a little information to this thread.

The TC is a distinct one-die variety. A convenient marker is a Grade A Talon Head from the clash that created the need for the abrading that led to the skipped abrading-wheel gouging the die face creating the Tiger Claw image.

The reverse is mismatched, showing no signs of clash.

The youngest die state we've found to date out of roughly 20 examples is mid-MDS. The clash therefore occured somewhere around 10-20% into the die's life. So far we have found no examples in VLDS (roughly the second 50% of the die's life). If these observations continue to hold true, this variety has a mintage on the order of 35,000, comparable to our estimate of the other scarce Ike varieties.

I found 10 in a roll of Ikes I acquired several years ago but only two others from all my other Ike searches. Like the FEV, the TC will likely be found clustered in original rolls if you're lucky.

When looking through Ikes, remember that the claw marks may not be obvious with the coin face on, another reminder to wobble all Ikes as you look at them. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Re: THE TIGER CLAW IKE DIE-STATE VARIETY

Post by BrianVaile » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:31 pm

Hey Rob,

You'll like this....I have (2) VLDS Tigers coming your way.... ;)

Happy Hunting!
Brian

robEzerman

Re: THE TIGER CLAW IKE DIE-STATE VARIETY

Post by robEzerman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:34 pm

Happy to report I've found a few more TC's in junk 71-D rolls, maybe MS63-4. All of the 15 I've found under my roof are the same die pair. Have sold the four best, the ones Roberts holdered for me (tagged as "Over abraded" or some such phrase), got decent money, especially for the two MS65 examples. As I remember the earliest die state was maybe 20% into the life of the die so it'll be good to see your two in VLDS as bench marks that the dies lasted at least "this" long. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman