ANNEALING MARKS, SPECTACULAR EXAMPLE

Post pictures, comments and questions about any other recognized or proposed die-state varieties
robEzerman

ANNEALING MARKS, SPECTACULAR EXAMPLE

Post by robEzerman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:13 pm

Grease strike-throughs that cover a broad area of an Ike's surface can often show off the planchet's annealing marks but the 1974-D pictured below is the most outrageous example I've seen that was not a grease strike-through.

The dealer said this Ike came from a mint set.

The key to Planchet Striations and Annealing Marks is the linear hits will "climb" vertical surfaces whereas scratches or hits will bridge gaps and not be continuous into a declivity where another coin could not reach such as where device meets field.

In the pictures below you will first see the fire-storm of gashes, slashes and hits, some so large one would think they have to be post-strike damage. But several of the largest examples do climb up and down sharp declivities and the sharp angles where field abuts device.

Also note the proof-like fields which really set off the Annealing Marks.
Attachments
DSCN9048-1.JPG
DSCN9049-1.JPG
DSCN9050-1.JPG
REFLECTIVE, PROOF-LIKE FIELDS
DSCN9051-1.JPG
THE NEXT THREE PHOTOS SHOW A GASH THAT SPANS IKE'S UPPER LIP AND THE ADJACENT FIELD: THE LAST TWO OF THESE THREE WERE SHOT WITH THE IKE SHARPLY ANGLED TO SHOW THE GASH RUNNING IN THE FIELD RIGHT UP TO AND THEN UP THE VERTICAL EDGE OF IKE'S UPPER LIP.
DSCN9052-1.JPG
DSCN9053-1.JPG
DSCN9054-1.JPG
THE NEXT THREE SHOW A GASH ACROSS THE UPPER EAR LOBE: THE LAST TWO WERE SHOT WITH THE COIN SHARPLY ANGLED SO THE CAMERA IS LOOKING AT THE VERTICAL SIDE OF THE LOBE.
DSCN9055-1.JPG
DSCN9056-1.JPG
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

19Lyds

Re: ANNEALING MARKS, SPECTACULAR EXAMPLE

Post by 19Lyds » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:40 am

Those are very good examples of annealing marks which kinda makes you wonder how that ever ended up in a "Mint Set"?
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008