Identify the IKE........

19Lyds

Identify the IKE........

Post by 19Lyds » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:53 am

I ran across this IKE in the PCGS low ball sets.

Can you tell me WHY it should not be there?
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

Texas

Re: Identify the IKE........

Post by Texas » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:45 am

Counterfeit!!!!!! :shock:

Wow, coincidence I just got one raw that is a lot better than that one by a mile from ebay, but it's not entombed as authentic! :(

Jim
I'm intrigued the most by what I know the least about... at least until I know more. - J. Owens

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Steeeeee-rike One!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Come on guys! Give it a shot!

Test your IKE skillls!

This one's eeeeee-asy!

shasta7

Post by shasta7 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 pm

How about...

S mint mark should be silver planchet... this one looks like a CLAD Planchet!!

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Steeeeee-rike TWO!

This is a 1971-S Silver coin.

Man you gotta be on top of this by now!

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:55 pm

Circulated proof (impared proof).

The "W" in the "IGWT" motto does not match up to SB 1971-S Ikes.

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

Texas

Post by Texas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:00 am

Well it looks to have been struck with a proof die being the" R" in LIBERTY and the second "1" in the date are of such, which the date is awful weak looking. :?:

What I'm looking at is the rim, maybe it's the pics, it's just that rim doesn't look legit, especially above "BER" and the fields/details look funny as well.

So what does the slab say?

Jim
I'm intrigued the most by what I know the least about... at least until I know more. - J. Owens

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:27 am

Sumdunce wrote:Circulated proof (impared proof).

The "W" in the "IGWT" motto does not match up to SB 1971-S Ikes.

V/R

LaMont

H-O-M-E-R-U-N !

Actually, more like a triple but a good call none the less.

Having studied 1971-S Proof IKE's over the years and having become familiar with the Original PegLeg R's vs the Serifed R's, my eye immediately gravitates to that location. The R on the coin above simply was not available on any Business Strike IKE for 1971 (ODV-001). However it was available on the Proof version. (ODV-004)

As a validation point, the hair is all wrong since that hair configuration was only available on the proof version of the coin.

The registry owner does not show a shot of the reverse of the coin. If he did, it would definitely be the Type 2 reverse. If it wasn't then someone circulated or manipulated a definite rarity of which this would be the 3rd known example. I expect that to NOT be the case.

Thanks for playing!

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:59 pm

So what did I win?

V/R

S
Eschew obfuscation!