Re-frosted Proof Dies

1872Hokie

Re-frosted Proof Dies

Post by 1872Hokie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 am

tko-5 wrote:Bryan, still not done with the 1971 S Hub 8 obverse, I am shooting pictures of it - the same family as DDO-009 and 10 - another up-date for you for this coin - the reverse has been re-frosted - a jig seems to be what was used - on 100% of all devises have over-spray on the field - all horizontal devises have over-spray on the northern facing fields - there is an amazing amount of proof with this coin - congratulations I will illustrate your coin for this subject "Re-frosted proof dies" wait till you see the picture layout, I am sure you will like it. There is a crack on the reverse, I will illustrate how the re-frost hid some of the crack. Normally have nothing to do with cracks other then maybe a marker, but for this coin because it has so many issues related to the beatification process I have to document it in its entirety. Again Congratulations.
Tom
I've been trying to do some more research about this topic and I'm not having a lot of luck. Anyone out there that can better educate me on this process? Figured I'd start a new thread instead of having it lost in my old 73 FS-101 thread. Thanks guys!
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan

SteveP
Global Moderater

Re: Re-frosted Proof Dies

Post by SteveP » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Check the IDDD site. Tom discusses this a bit in most of his listings.
Steve Palladino

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Not sure exactly what your specific question is.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

1872Hokie

Post by 1872Hokie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:18 am

Sorry for the vagueness of my original post. I'm basically interested in the re-frosting process, how it is done on the Ike dies (i know the process has changed over the years), and what significance my coin plays as a proof of the refrosting concept.
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:24 pm

The re-frosting process was done with a small scale media blaster (think sand blaster), I would guess using aluminum oxide. Dies were masked off so that only the devices were exposed. The masking is somewhat of a mystery, in that one would assume they had on-piece templates to cover the die fields, however, you can readily find examples that have some devices that look like they were masked off individually. It's blatantly obvious on 71 S especially - look closely at the earths with magnification. Many coins look "round" on the earth edges, where as a small percentage of coins exhibit straight edges around the earth (most apparent on those with strong frosting) - like someone used mini-tape to tape off the fields before they did the blasting. It's very easy to pick out once you find one.

and before you all go wild, we're not sanctioning them as varieties...

1872Hokie

Post by 1872Hokie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:29 pm

AOskam wrote:and before you all go wild, we're not sanctioning them as varieties...
Wasn't about to go crazy with this one, just trying to better understand what I had and what led to it. Still a good piece to have as it details part of the proof process.
Thanks for the info Andy!
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan

ilikeikes

Post by ilikeikes » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:50 pm

My Nightcrawler has this off-center frosting on the earth...as stated in the crawler thread, my specimen is highly poilished, and, almost a PPL candidate...coolness!
Attachments
c7.jpg
c4.jpg
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Exactly - good examples.