Are there any examples of sintered planchet C-N Ikes?

bushmaster8

Are there any examples of sintered planchet C-N Ikes?

Post by bushmaster8 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Does anyone have any photos of sintering on an IKE?

I picked up a very nice 1976-P ty1 at show that has a dark patch on the reverse. At 1st glance it looked like something that would clean up with a solvent. To my surprise not even tricloro-trifluoroethane had any effect whatsoever. Examination with a 10x reveals that it is metallic and very tightly bonded to the underlying coin surface. You can see copper color in the mix and it has a melted then solidified look.

I'm going to try to attach some photos. Unfortunately, my kick-ass microscope is still packed from a recent move.
sc_1_1.JPG
sc_3.JPG
sc_4.JPG

bushmaster8

Re: Are there any examples of sintered planchet C-N Ikes?

Post by bushmaster8 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:53 pm

Or is this perhaps the polish residue Rob refers to at the end of this thread?

http://forum2.ikegroup.info/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1207

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:03 pm

I have a nice sintered 72 T2. I'll try to post this weekend.
Steve Palladino

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:35 am

Sintered planchets of Ikes do come in "groups". As far as I know, the "sintering" from being left in the annealing drum too long, covers the entire planchet, not just one spot. Those (3) groups of Ikes are: 1971-D, 1972-Type 2, and 1977-D, with the 72-P Type 2 having the "lightest" sintering of the three. There is a 71-D Sintered planchet up on eBay right now.

I once had a couple of the 72-P Type 2's and tried to get NGC to attribute them as being "sintered". They sent them back and replied "no they are just toned". I had MS-70ed these prior to submission, thinking just that...unattractive toning. I wanted to "clean them up a little" so they might garner a higher grade. I was kind of bewildered a little when the MS-70 bath didn't clean up the toning, even a little, so I subjected them to a longer, higher concentrated "bath"....still, with no effect at all! Not even on the rims, (which will usually get much brighter. :shock:

I sent them back to NGC again, challenging them about their misdiagnosis. I told them I f it was toning, it would have been removed by the MS-70 and to take a closer look at the surface. As with everything else we (The Ike Group) tried to convey to NGC about Ikes at the time, (like the FEV), it fell on deaf ears and was completely ignored. :roll:

Happy Hunting!
Brian

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:06 pm

Here are some photos of one of Brian's 2T2-101.2 (72 T2 March release) sintered planchet coins. It is a diffuse pewter-like color.

Hmmm... I wonder if they would re-label it as sintered now?
Attachments
1972 T2 sintered holder.jpg
1972 T2 sintered obverse.jpg
1972 T2 sintered reverse.jpg
1972 T2 sintered 2T2-101.2 type 2 earth.jpg
1972 T2 sintered 2T2-101.2 die gouge N.jpg
die gouge "pimple" N
1972 T2 sintered 2T2-101.2 baseball cap.jpg
"baseball cap"
1972 T2 sintered 2T2-101.2 die crack TE.jpg
die crack between T and E (hasn't extended to TAT yet)
Steve Palladino

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Hmmm... I wonder if they would re-label it as sintered now?
Good luck with THAT! :roll: Rob and I are like 0-10 for our requests from NGC. You can try again.....
You sure can't do any worse than we did! :lol:

Thanks for the showing those pics! Glad she ended up with a good home. I'm pretty sure I found that one
in the Summer of 2006. There were two of them in the same roll.

Happy Hunting!
Brian

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:38 pm

https://coins.ha.com/itm/eisenhower-dol ... ion-071515

This is the twin to the one Steve posted earlier in this thread. In fact, the slab numbers are consecutive. Definite sintered planchet. I'll give NGC one more shot to try and get them to designate it as such. 'Won't hold me breath........ :roll:

Happy Hunting!
Brian

shasta7

Post by shasta7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Brian...

That coin is of the March Var.... it has the baseball cap marker... lol
Cool looking coin.... :-)

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks!
You and I might find it "cool looking"....However, most others find it kinda "butt-ugly". It's only when one appreciates WHY it is a "butt-ugly" color, that they might appreciate the "butt-ugliness" of the coin. VEDS....W and E are still connected! :shock:

By being so "unattractive", it allowed me to get it for less than I sold it for years ago! Then, again....market is lower for 65 Type 2 Ikes than it was years ago. I don't know how it ended up in the "Mile High Collection", but at least it found it's way back home. :mrgreen:

Happy Hunting!
Brian

shasta7

Post by shasta7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Cool... hope you get it... & at a great lower price!!

You are right about appreciating coins like this... right after I graduated I worked at a tubing company... I worked in the furnace room annealing tubing... all type & kinds of metal tubing.... from stainless to Inconel 750 to copper to zirconium... so I understand as far as sinister planchet... butt ugly is best term... lol