78D Eye

KLFenstermaker

78D Eye

Post by KLFenstermaker » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Have searched the forum for previous comments on this, didn't find anything. I found a couple of different eye configurations on some 78Ds. Are they documented anywhere. Both pictures had same light source and basic coin rotation, so it is not shadow. Is it just a weak strike?
Attachments
78D Partial Eye.jpg
78D Open Eye.jpg

shasta7

Re: 78D Eye

Post by shasta7 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Ken...

The eye looks like it was or may be abraded... due to polishing too hard...
It also can be weak strike... hope this helps...

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:45 pm

It's definitely from abrasion. It's evident in the surrounding facial features as well. We've seen this in the eye area before on other issues.

Those areas that appear missing have a "flat-ish" look from the abrasion. It doesn't take much metal removal from a die to create that effect. Look at the area to the southeast of the eye - on the lower picture it looks like a diagonal black shadow from the smooth rounded features, but on the upper one it looks like a dried up river bed.

Same thing behind the nostril and of course the lower eye.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

KLFenstermaker

Post by KLFenstermaker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:23 am

Andy and Shasta, thanks as always for your help. In my opinion, much more interesting than a peg leg. Maybe sometime an evil eye DIVa?

shasta7

Post by shasta7 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Ken...

I like that name... "Evil Eye".... what does everyone else think???

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:08 pm

I like the name too.

Problem with DIVa on abrasion Ikes it that they tend to be found at various stages. It then becomes hard to discern "the line" of what qualifies and what doesn't. It's best to leave it for extreme abrasion cases, like a 37 D Buffalo 3-leg.

For example, I am personally not a fan whatsoever of the 72 S "Shadow Ike" Rob named years ago. It's just an early die state that got that feature wiped out quickly with die re-treatments. It's nothing more than an identifying feature of die state in my book.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

shasta7

Post by shasta7 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:41 am

Hi Andy...

I tend to agree with everything you posted... abraded coins can be a real mess to try to list...
just because so many different people at the mint do or did the polishing... & they may done
things differently at different mints... as far as the Shadow Ikes… there is a lot of room for guessing
& different people's opinions...

always more wood to throw on the fire or put mud on the wall... lol