Advice For The New Member

Bill_From_Ohio

Advice For The New Member

Post by Bill_From_Ohio » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new to coin collecting and I have decided to start my collection by collecting Ike's. A few things I've learned by reading is: 1) Patience is key 2) You don't have to break the bank to get started, and 3) Remember 1 and 2. While I'm probably over-simplifying, my questions are 1) Since my first goal is to obtain a complete set, what type of album should I store them in? Is a Whitman, "push-them-through-the-hole" type album OK, or should I look for something else? 2) After I get the set complete, what advice would you have on what I should collect next? Last, what are things you wish you had known you started collecting coins and Ike's?

Thanks for all of the time and input! I look forward to learning from all of you.

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: Advice For The New Member

Post by AndyO » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Hello

I strongly recommend DANSCO for albums. There's others, that are similar, but I think they do a nice job. I own no less than 25, both specific series and blank holders. I do use an outer sleeve on them all. You used to be able to by Ike DANSCO sets off eBay for $200.

I actually like to buy slabbed coins so I have the confidence that they're not problem coins, crack them out, and into the albums they go. I realize you're not at that level yet. Moreover, I only collect mint state coins and want to be careful with my money. I'm simply not a fan of worn coins, and buying raw mint state early year coins like wheat cents can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing...

I would just look around at what you like to collect next. You'll need to get a feel for some of the series out there. Standing Liberty quarters are great, but rather expensive in high grades. A lot of Ike collectors tend to gravitate towards Franklin half dollars. Perhaps you want to try Morgans.

If I were you, I'd look through completed AUCTION listings on eBay to get a feel for the going price of and specific date/mm/series.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

Bill_From_Ohio

Post by Bill_From_Ohio » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks, Andy.

Irish2ice

Post by Irish2ice » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:29 pm

Welcome Bill.

You are correct with all your points. Unless you have a large budget, decide if you want to collect by quantity or quality. If it's quality, learn the basics of grading IKE's. It's not easy to do as most IKE's are rare in condition only.

When I first started with IKE's, what I thought was a great looking coin was only moderately graded. When you find or get that first conditional rarity, you realize a high grade IKE is like gold falling from heaven and you just sit there going WOW....
Bob G.

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill_From_Ohio

Post by Bill_From_Ohio » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:44 pm

Thanks for the welcome and advice, Bob.

cladking

Post by cladking » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:29 pm

I wish I had known Gem Ikes existed.

I was collecting clad all through the '70's but had never seen a Gem dollar until 1979 when I found a beautiful 1978-D in a mint set. After I started paying attention to them I found lots more. Nearly 1% of mint set Ikes were Gem in those days but now many have been cherry picked and many of the rest are corroded.

I'd suggest you look for Ikes one grade below the big price increase. These are about dirt cheap and would have cost more in time and effort back in the '80's.

I used to suggest collectors search mint sets but so many are bad now days that just finding choice coins can be tough.

Bill_From_Ohio

Post by Bill_From_Ohio » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Thanks for the info