Giving Ike Presentation at Coin Club

Bman33

Giving Ike Presentation at Coin Club

Post by Bman33 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:16 pm

All, I am giving a Presentation at my Coin Club on Ikes. I have started a power point presentation but would like some input from you on what to cover. Any thoughts would be great.

KLFenstermaker

Re: Giving Ike Presentation at Coin Club

Post by KLFenstermaker » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:52 pm

As a relative newbie to Ikes myself, I would be interested in the different Obverse and Reverse styles, the fact that 1973s were not circulated, the 1976 styles, and then maybe go into some of the DIVa coins and RPMs. I would guess the group has some background on the minting and die making process, so go light on that if you say anything. Maybe something on the various major clashes.

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:19 pm

I've done a few of these at coin clubs in Ocala, Tampa and Spring Hill down here in FLorida. Back when our book had come out and got the attention of a few folks, because no one had really dug very deeply into Ikes before then.

I always started with the first known major variety, the 72-P Type 2. Then expanded on the research to show that there were actually (2) Type 2's (March and August).

I would then go onto the FEV and the way that Frank G. was so secretive about his work and was known to "tinker" with the dies on occasion.. For examples I would use the REV on the FEV and the Astronaut with a golf club that first appeared on the 71-S Silver proof. The fact that no one ever even noticed those two items until over 40 years later, shows how good he was at concealing them. They are there (although the REV washes out fairly quickly). Power point photos of good early die state examples would be good there. These show Frank's eye to detail and sense of humor at the same time.

Then I would hit some of the more major varieties that have been featured in the CPG and add how more interesting DIVA's are still being discovered. I would also point out that the buyer needs to beware of what variety is attributed to the coin on the holder, in some cases, may not be accurate. That there are MANY major DDO Ikes that do look very similar and that MMP can also be used to help in correctly diagnosing a DDO. Warn them NOT to plunk down thousands for an FS-103 unless you saw it in-hand and was SURE it was an FS-103. Or, unless it had a DIVA sticker on it, showing that it was guaranteed by The Ike Group that the attribution designation is correct.

I would also go a little into how one had to beware fake toned Ikes, especially PKOKs. PKOK toning started with Ikes many years ago has now spread to other denominations with many landing in TPG holders. These are being "Manufactured" to this day using the same technique that started the PKOK Ikes. I would then go into just a little on Ike errors and RPM's.

Lastly, I would tell about how the Ike group has a website to get all of the information they need and TONS of research material available to help learn about Ikes. Knowledge is THE KEY! Once you know what to look for, you can cherry pick many cool or valuable varieties from most any coin store, pawn shop, or coin auction you go to. Not many dealers pay much attention to Ikes and never have. This leaves many cherries to be picked still hanging on the low branches in the IkeLand Forest.

Happy Hunting!
Brian

FS-801

Post by FS-801 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:44 pm

I was going to mention a lot of the things that Brian said, especially regarding the FS-103 DDO. I had a labeled FS-103 imposter (PCGS) that was actually an FS-106. There are MANY out there like this. Most FS-103s are misattributed. The only other thing I would add is mention of the NIGHTCRAWLER variety, a very popular, naked-eye DIVa. I'm looking forward to seeing your PowerPoint!
My Eisenhower Dollar Complete Variety PCGS Registry Set: http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/publish ... x?s=119137

Bman33

Post by Bman33 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:06 pm

Thank you for the advice all. I have only been collecting Ikes for a little over a year. 3 days ago I completed my version of the Ike set by getting a 72 Type 2 in an MS-64 (PCGS). I like what you all have to say. The only varieties I have in my set are the FEV and 72 Type 2. I will get a little more research from here on the Night Crawler and hopefully get one before my presentation.
One thing I want to convey is how fun it is putting an Ike set together. I love going from dealer to dealer looking at their hoards of Browns and Blues, and hunting for varieties. Getting an appreciation for non silver business strikes was big too and a concept I want to promote. Many collectors stop at 1964.
I also want to do a little show and tell with what I have. People at my club know I am an Ike Collector and many of them have told me they have never seen the 72 Type 2 in their hand. I am excited to finally have it and want to show it off!

I plan on upgrading and learning more about Ikes for the rest of my life. I have a lot of research to do here and upgrading of my set. I may just start a brand new one with More tpg and varieties.

Please give anymore advice it you want to!

Bman33

Post by Bman33 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:11 am

All, I will be giving a presentation this year. My club asked me to give one this week but it was short notice and I wanted to do it right. I will need to do a lot more research here. I had a question. Is it ok to take information from the IKE Group site and put it in a power point for my club to see? Just want to make sure I am not breaking any rules, copyright, etc.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 pm

Officially it's against our terms on the opening page, but have at it. Nothing secret here.

Lot's of legal precedents out there indicating that once's it's on the internet, it's free game (despite what many folks will have you believe otherwise).
Authorized CAC and QA dealer