Found a '71-S PF DDR-005, now what?

twitcherroo

Re: Found a '71-S PF DDR-005, now what?

Post by twitcherroo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:06 pm

19Lyds wrote:
twitcherroo wrote:Brian - thanks. I found a '76-D Kennedy with a retained staple strike through on the reverse a year or so ago. Would like to send that one in too. I'll look into a PCGS membership and submit a handful. Thanks.

Does anyone have a guess on value? Really just want to make sure it's worth the trouble of submitting. I don't mean to reduce it to money but I really don't have an idea if it's a $10 coin, a $50 coin or a $250 coin. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
Well, lets just say it's definitely NOT a $10, $50, or $250 coin. I would venture much better than $1,000 depending upon grade.
Wow. So that validates that blind squirrel does find a nut every now and again. In that case I graciously accept my "you suck" award and the many perks that come with it.

Thanks again to everyone for support. It's been very helpful. If/when I get it shipped out and returned I'll update everyone.

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:04 pm

Is there a difference between submitting to NGC or PCGS? I have a 1904 World's Fair taken that I'd like to submit in the group as well but I don't think PCGS does those tokens but NGC does. Anyone have guidance on the pro's / con's of NGC vs PCGS? Thanks.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 pm

Your far better off in a PCGS holder for Ikes. Problem is, the grading is so disastrously inconsistent with PCGS, especially with Ike proofs. Compare a 69DCAM silver eagle to a 69DCAM Ike and you'll understand real quick. Grade is somewhat unimportant on this coin, however. It's almost certainly going to be 67 or above, probably 68 or 69. I'd consider sending it to PCGS for conservation and grading. There's zero value to keeping it in government packaging.

NGC has made it clear that they aren't fans of Ikes (for who knows why), and they are CONSISTENTLY over-graded by a point on Ikes (and most all series) as compared to PCGS or even ANACS often times.

So there's the usual conundrum; go with the one who's consistently inconsistent, or the one that's consistently over-graded with a much poorer reputation. Gotta take the PCGS route and play the odds.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 am

Your far better off in a PCGS holder for Ikes.
Agree! I believe you have to have a 5-coin minimum for "Modern Coins" and you can't mix up the batch by including tokens or errors. I don't trust PCGS on the conservation end on proof Ikes because the only time I asked them to do it, they didn't think they needed "conserving". I had to crack them all out, "conserve" them myself and resubmit. Got much better grades the 2nd time!
So now, I just do them all myself.

$5 a shot is a REALLY good price for Brown Box Ikes!! Did you find your Ikes at a show or shop?

Happy Hunting!
Brian

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 am

BrianVaile wrote:
Your far better off in a PCGS holder for Ikes.
Agree! I believe you have to have a 5-coin minimum for "Modern Coins" and you can't mix up the batch by including tokens or errors. I don't trust PCGS on the conservation end on proof Ikes because the only time I asked them to do it, they didn't think they needed "conserving". I had to crack them all out, "conserve" them myself and resubmit. Got much better grades the 2nd time!
So now, I just do them all myself.

$5 a shot is a REALLY good price for Brown Box Ikes!! Did you find your Ikes at a show or shop?

Happy Hunting!
Brian
Damn...

I was planning to submit this coin, the '76-D staple half, an '86 V nickel, a '13-D Lincoln cent and a 1904 St Louis fair token (Hendershott 61-340). You're saying this isn't remotely close to a viable plan? I may have to take someone up on the support for submitting. I don't think the obverse needs conserving, the reverse may or may not, I can't really tell.

I bought them from a coin dealer locally. I've had decent results buying there on several occasions. I usually target obscure or mis priced items which means I end up with some interesting stuff from time to time. Me and the kids (9 & 11 years old) spend a little time there looking for bargains. He still has quite a few blue IKE's and '76 silver MS sets that aren't moving. I'm wearing him down from the $7 & $12-13 he's asking for them. I don't think he's moves them too easily so in a few weeks I'll get them for within 15% of spot or so.

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:39 am

Update on this coin.
It now resides in a PCGS PR69CAM FS-801 Secure Holder.
Population 1 with none higher in CAM and only 2 in 69DCAM.
That's one hell of a Cherry Pick! :shock:
Congrats!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/34015327

Happy Hunting!
Brian

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Brian - that's a great outcome. Really appreciate all the help on this. Also appreciate all of the other members here who reached out offering assistance. Speaks to the quality of the folks who frequent the site.

Now just need to find a happy home for it. I did reach out today to the folks at Heritage to see what selling it at the FUN auction might look like.

Thanks,
Joe

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:08 pm

twitcherroo wrote:Brian - that's a great outcome. Really appreciate all the help on this. Also appreciate all of the other members here who reached out offering assistance. Speaks to the quality of the folks who frequent the site.

Now just need to find a happy home for it. I did reach out today to the folks at Heritage to see what selling it at the FUN auction might look like.

Thanks,
Joe
Hey!

I'l give ya a Buck Two-fifty for it!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:28 pm

19Lyds wrote:
twitcherroo wrote:Brian - that's a great outcome. Really appreciate all the help on this. Also appreciate all of the other members here who reached out offering assistance. Speaks to the quality of the folks who frequent the site.

Thanks,
Joe
Hey!

I'l give ya a Buck Two-fifty for it!
There's certainly a number, but I don't know if that's it!

FS-801

Post by FS-801 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:23 pm

Well, crap. I definitely need the 801 for my registry set, but I cant afford a 69. I'm hoping a PR65 or lower comes to the market at some point. Congratulations!
My Eisenhower Dollar Complete Variety PCGS Registry Set: http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/publish ... x?s=119137