Forum upgrade

AndyO
Site Admin

Forum upgrade

Post by AndyO » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:18 pm

I've been entrenched in graduate work for the last few months (and many more to come), but I am currently trying to get the forum not only upgraded, but also correct the behind the scenes damage from a former Ike Group member prior to the current site being established. It has severely limited what we can do to enhance the forum. From your side of the fence, the search function comes to mind as something you'd see not working correctly. Our phpBB forum version is from 2012, old by current standards. It must get a serious upgrade, soon.

As some of you know, Russ Stringham was the one who we went to when we needed a fresh start, and he did a wonderful job to rejuvenate the site and forum, as well as maintain. Unfortunately as some of you may not have known Russ, I'll put it in his words: he's now pushing daisies. A tragic loss for many of us.

I'll keep you all posted, but I'm going to be up front: This is probably going to cost a bunch. I'm not asking for money, but, depending upon the quotes..... I may be asking for money. As some of you know, we fund this site our of our own pockets, with no source of revenue to keep it operating. It's by no means a high traffic site, but it does serve a purpose for us few like minded collectors.

I'll keep you posted.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

19Lyds

Re: Forum upgrade

Post by 19Lyds » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:46 am

I will gladly pay for the continued operation of this forum.

Just say the word.
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

Windycity

Post by Windycity » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:37 pm

I would contribute.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm going back and forth right now with a potential service to help. I'll keep you posted.

daviscfad

Post by daviscfad » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Let's us know

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:43 pm

We may be getting closer....

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:29 pm

As you may have guessed, the forum has been upgraded. Still unable to fix the damage left from Bill years ago. Everyone I've talked to is totally afraid what will happen if we try to delete and correct all the ridiculous forums that he had installed "somehow" long before we took the site over.

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:58 pm

I don't know what to say nor how to proceed.

But so far, it looks pretty good Andy! Thank You!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:36 pm

OK, so, you might have noticed section IV is missing. Well, it is. Probably a total loss in terms of the associated posts.

I have been able to correct almost if not all of the wreckage behind the scenes left over from the old website forum created (and wrecked) years ago by Bill. Unfortunately section IV seemed to have all kinds of whacked-out ties. It had four forums: grades are in, investigational and research, fantasy topic, and MDD. In total there were only 69 threads between the four, and 462 total posts among them. Not nearly as much as any of the other sections in a span of 9 years. Hard to believe it's been that long since the revolution (new website).

While there were some fun threads in there, most were not what I would call vital of interesting information towards the site here. Some of Dr. Daryl's posts are gone, and I'll miss the threads we had on Dan Carr's stuff, but if we had to lose a section, that was by far the least of all evils. I will recreate it in the near future.

So overall, besides that unfortunate loss, I think we may just be all corrected and operating normally - for the first time in years. Not that our massive forum traffic will notice....

PLEASE check out the search function. This was supposed to be corrected with the forum upgrade. It seems to be working for me, but please try it from a non-admin standpoint and make sure.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:59 pm

So I replaced section IV, and added a new, fifth forum in there while I was at it - one I think is most appropriate in the last few years. Use it!