My experience with Brian Vaile and the IKE group

twitcherroo

My experience with Brian Vaile and the IKE group

Post by twitcherroo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:20 pm

To summarize, I paid $5 for an IKE, shipped it to a complete stranger based solely on reputation and faith to help broker a sale and in the end I got a check for several grand.

I'll start with the basics, I don't really collect IKE's and know very little about them. I have a decent number of them but mostly because I collect coins and like all of the 20th century issues. Whenever I find 40% IKE's at or below melt on the silver I buy them. Last summer I grabbed 9 1971-S Brown IKE's from the local coin store for $5 each, or 2-3% under melt. They didn't have the brown boxes but were in the original plastic rectangular holders, though several of them look like they've been damaged by heat or fire. I have the Cherry Pickers guide and usually run all of my new purchases through it just for fun. After a quick review it's clear I found an FS-801. Now, if you collect IKE's you'll realize that this is a rare and valuable coin. If you don't collect IKE's it's an interesting oddity. In the Cherry Pickers guide there is no value listed for the FS-801. Now this good be for one of two reasons, it's so common there's no need to list a price or it's so rare there is no price determined.

So searching the internet I found the IKE group, posted pictures and quickly got confirmation that I in fact had an FS-801. The consensus is that I should conserve it, get it graded and auction it. My only dilemma was that I'd never conserved a coin, had a coin graded or even sold a coin up to this point. Enter Brian Vaile. I'd never heard of the IKE group or Brian Vaile, but Brian was one of several IKE group members who offered to help me with the process. I was a bit skeptical - "Hey stranger, send me your admittedly rare and valuable coin and I'll help you, wink wink". At first it had a bit of a 'Nigerian Prince has just left you an inheritance' email vibe. That being said I did a little more poking around on the internet and it turns out the IKE group is a reputable group and Brian Vaile is an actual guy (and not a Nigerian Prince). So I figured what the hell, what's the worst that can happen? So having never met or spoken to Brian, and with no actual remotely binding legal agreement in place I sent my IKE to Brian. What happened next is a several months adventure of conservation, submitting to PCGS to get it graded and attributed, a trip to another colleague of Brian's for additional attribution and finally a trip to Heritage Auctions to be sold at the FUN auction. At any point in this process I'm confident that had the coin 'gone missing' I'd have little to no recourse. However, Brian did everything he said he's do and more, and this story ends quite happily for me with a check showing up as scheduled for several thousand dollars.

I'm very thankful to Brian and to the other IKE group members who reached out to help a complete stranger. Of course, your results may vary but I'm extremely pleased with the experience.

Joe

19Lyds

Re: My experience with Brian Vaile and the IKE group

Post by 19Lyds » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Why don't we have a LIKE button because I really LIKE this post!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

GrandAm

Post by GrandAm » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:27 pm

Brian is A-OK!!!

pappyxyz1

Post by pappyxyz1 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:12 pm

I have a horror story, not about Brian and all I'll say it be very very careful whom you trust. I'm out 12 coins ( 5 EBPL's one of which was the only design boot I've ever found ) . That being said, otherwise the forum and group are very helpful. Just venting .... I'm over it, NOT.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sat May 12, 2018 8:01 am

Well, if it wasn't Brian, and I haven't taken any coins from anyone to evaluate in years, we have to assume you're referring to Steve.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

pappyxyz1

Post by pappyxyz1 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:00 pm

No, not Steve. I'd rather not say in the open. I'd pm if you want to know the whole story. Not looking to bash

twitcherroo

Post by twitcherroo » Thu May 24, 2018 4:30 pm

Be careful who you trust is always good advice. I don’t obviously know anything about the situation you’re describing, but I can tell you that Brian really helped me out.

pappyxyz1

Post by pappyxyz1 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:30 pm

I hope you didn't take anything insinuated against Brian. No way Jose, I was referring to another in the group.

GrandAm

Post by GrandAm » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:49 pm

So, how about posting a link to The Heritage sale where the FS-801 sold?

Thanks, Gary

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Here is the link for Joe's 801. https://coins.ha.com/itm/eisenhower-dol ... ion-071515

It was attributed and graded at PCGS PR69CAM + QA sticker and sold for $3,000 + 20% = $3,600.

The scary thing was the same coin in 69DCAM was selling at the same time and went for more than TWICE that amount! $9.000 with the buyer's premium! :o :shock: :o

Brian