Correct path to attribution

KLFenstermaker

Correct path to attribution

Post by KLFenstermaker » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 pm

I was going through my PCGS set and found a 72S PR69DCAM that I think should be should be a FS101 (2SP-301), but was not graded as such. Should I send it to PCGS for attribution prior to submitting for DIVa attribution, or get it checked out first by Steve or Andy? If I go DIVa first, then send to PCGS, would re-attribution be a re-sticker or new sticker? :?:

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Re: Correct path to attribution

Post by BrianVaile » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 pm

I would not send anything to Steve at this point. He has another project going on right now. I believe Andy is taking on all DIVA designations for now.
Your best bet, if you have good, close-up picture capability, is to post a good close-up of the motto here, before you spend a lot of money to send it in. We can more than likely (with good pics) verify as a genuine 72-S FS-101. If so, then to send to PCGS for attribution and then get Andy to verify and get DIVA-tized, and included into the DIVA Pop Report.

There are a few Triple Die 72-S Proofs out there. Only one of which is the True DIVA 72-S FS-101 DIVA. Many of the CPG Ikes are already in falsely attributed TPG holders. Especially the 71-S FS-103's.

Happy Hunting!
Brian

KLFenstermaker

Post by KLFenstermaker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:47 am

I have been trying to get a good pic, but the holder messes up the focus. Reverse shots to rule out doubling of stars for an 2SP-302 just aren't good enough
Attachments
2SP-301-2.jpg
2SP-301-1.jpg

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Not a true 72-S FS-101. I call that one a "Skinny-Fading TDO"
The bottom notching of the G needs to have 3 equally spaced notching and the top serif of the S also needs to have 3 distinct notches as well, not just 1 big one. It starts out with tripling on the left side of the MOTTO, but "Fades" away to DDO by the time it gets to the S.
Hope this Helps,

Happy Hunting!
Brian

KLFenstermaker

Post by KLFenstermaker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks for the response. After some close looking, I can see the differences. Still getting my eye trained for spotting the minor changes, that's why there are experts. Couldn't find a DIVa attribution for this, is there one I am missing?

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:46 am

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe Tom Kalantzis had around 26 different 72-S Silver Proof DDO's of which at least (3) were some kind of TDO and then, of course, also the FS-101 TDO. Most of these are not really very remarkable and just standard, common, DDO's. For DIVA's, we try to only use the more remarkable DDO's or TDO's, CPG's, and Varieties caused by some kind of malfunction, or mistake, in the minting process. Just like VAMs are for Morgans and Peace Dollars.

Tom K was starting to get more interested in the Ike Varieties and attributed a few with new IDDO numbers. All of the RPM's, the 72-S Trail Die, and the 71-D Grizzly, 71-S Nightcrawler, 72-D DDO Peg Leg, and some different FEV's come to mind. He could see that collectors were more interested in collecting easily seen Varieties than a slew of DDO's for the same date that most people couldn't tell apart.

I found his catalog of different DDO's and DDR's soo vast it was hard to navigate myself. There is just so much info from years and years worth of pictures and die markers. The Ike Group is trying to keep DIVA's in the "more easy to tell apart" department, many of which, are even naked-eye easy or a 10X loop at the most.

Happy Hunting!
Brian