“PCGS FS Ike DDO Attributions: their Wexler DDO catalog numb

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: “PCGS FS Ike DDO Attributions: their Wexler DDO catalog numb

Post by AndyO » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:03 pm

I have one of the 73's raw. I bought it from a dealer a while back basically because it was nice looking coin and he was only asking $20. I didn't bother looking very closely at it when purchasing. At this point however, I just don't see the need to spend the money on attribution at PCGS. Perhaps if I get together more coins for that service it'll get sent in.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:51 pm

I just gotta chime in here.

I have several possibilities but I find it a bit unsettling that the die scratch is the determining factor for the attribution. My one and only 1973-S FS-101 does have a die scratch but not THE die scratch. I have several others that are nearly identical that do not have a die scratch. "THE" die scratch as illustrated in the Wexler Book goes shows the die scratch over the 3 diagonal lines on IKEs neck while my coin has the die scratch running across the diagonal line under IKEs chin!

My thinking on this is that as the die ages, and we all know that these do age and they do get repaired as the Fading Peglegs for 1971 are proof of that fact, wouldn't the scratch actually be minimized if not crushed out of the die all together? Perhaps this is a stupid question but I just have to ask it!

Another thing, while trying to identify specific 1972-S DDO's I could not help but notice (like anybody with a functioning brain) that one of the "die markers" for the 1972-S DDO-005 is "Strike Doubling seen on the date and LIBERTY". Now I have to ask, isn't strike doubling the result of looseness in the press and not a result of whats on the die?? I suppose the authors assumed that the "strike doubling" was on the die but then wouldn't that make this the exception to the rule? The rule being that "strike doubling" offers no premium.

I guess I just find it very unsettling that "strike doubling" would be used as a "die marker" for a specific DDO variety!

Along those same lines and the fact that Proof dies do show LDS and VLDS states, I find that using die scratches as "die markers" as equally unsettling.

Somebody please come along and set my mind "straight"!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:08 pm

Lee, the 73 I have does not have the die scratch either. No big deal. Everything else is a perfect match. Abrasive blasting to restore the cameo effect could easily dull down a die scratch as such with just a few go-rounds or even one very determined die repair job focused on that area.

Personally, the Authoritative Reference is NOT an authoritative reference as much as the authors would like to think - in some cases. While it has some very good stuff, it also has an enormous amount of incorrect information. Our Group has already disproven a couple of the DDO/DDR varieties as nothing more than the same die during different states of it's life.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:42 pm

Thanks Andy!

These things are simply not that cheap to submit and each one that gets a "Minor Variety" will cost you another $38 plus shipping until they get it right!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008