72-D DDO-001 MARKERS - DIE CRACKS???

robEzerman

72-D DDO-001 MARKERS - DIE CRACKS???

Post by robEzerman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:05 pm

Photos below show a small sampling of maybe several dozen all total very superficial die cracks generally running NE - SW.

First thought they were die scratches but high mag seems more consistent with the appearance of cracks and in a couple of locations what ever they are climb devices which should not happen with die scratches.

They do not progress, however, and rather seem to wash out with advancing die state. The earliest die state example seems to have the oft-seen "honeycomb" lattice of "heat checks" so I'm wondering if these linear images are just a natural extension of heat checks/

Have to say the 72-D 1/1 just keeps throwing me off base. . .

I'll have much to post on the DDR-001 as time permits but for now I will be changing the chapter: the very strange second S of STATES does round out dramatically as die state progresses but adjoining letters show a variable but distinctly "MDD" like appearance in the 5 specimens Ken Siuda so kindly sent me. The best I can come up with for now is the strange S created a rotational tension during coining that resulted in MDD in the vicinity, that's way-out thinking, sorry, but so far the only idea that seems to maybe fit?

Photos are of the Motto and in no particular order. The "D" is out of focus but best shows the crack climbing the device.

QUESTION? Do you agree these are die cracks? Thanks! Rob
Attachments
DSCN0002-1.JPG
DSCN0001-1.JPG
DSCN9998-1.JPG
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman