Need help with a 71S SB DDO/DDR

SteveP
Global Moderater

Need help with a 71S SB DDO/DDR

Post by SteveP » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:53 pm

I recently spotted a PCGS MS66 Ike on eBay that looked remotely like a possible....ahem...SPL. Turned out to be no dice, but the R did have more than usual separation from Ike's head and more abreviated serifs, with no field bending between the head and the R.
http://palladinospics.shutterfly.com/74

Then I noticed that it was a DDO/DDR that was clearly not a 4/21 or 5/22. Light spread in IGWT and LIB, light spread in OF AMERICA. http://palladinospics.shutterfly.com/75

There were two nice obverse die cracks: one extending through the lower part of the N through the T in the IGWT, and another parallel crack through the leg in R in TRUST.
http://palladinospics.shutterfly.com/73
These do not match the die crack in Wexler's DDO-002.

I just opened a raw 71S blue Ike pack and...the same exact DDO/DDR with the same exact obverse die cracks. Talk about weird coincidence :shock:

Any ideas? Has anyone seen one of these?
Steve Palladino

tko-5

Re: Need help with a 71S SB DDO/DDR

Post by tko-5 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 am

Hi Steve,
Go to the IDDD site 71 s page, hub 1, hub 2, and hub 5. match up what group your coin belongs to, the arrows show plit serifs that need to be matched up, once you feel you are on the correct hub group simply search it, die by die, I do remember cracks at the N and T and some go onto the R, depends witch one you have, if you need any further help just ask, I will be more then happy to help.
Tom

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:03 am

Of what you have posted in hub 1,2, and 5, this is closest:
http://www.ikedollardoubledie.com/idddo ... wd-i-s.php
But, the die crack in the 1 is not in the same location, the crack works its way through the T a bit different, and this R has more separation from the head.
Steve Palladino

tko-5

Post by tko-5 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:42 pm

At this point check the mint mark placement, if it has the same mint mark placement more then likely a later die state with a crack re-forming, or yet another?
I would check all of the the dies mint mark placements that have been noted with cracks.
Cracks come and go? Dies for many reasons are abraded and polished, one reason is a clash, another Cracks, to name a few, if the cracks went unattended the working die would begun to brake up and the die would be total loss to produce any more coins.

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:10 pm

The mint mark on my coin looks to placed the same as the IDDO-112. The WE suggests a bit later (MDS) die state that the photos on the site. I'll probably send you both for confirmation in the future. Thanks for the help.
Steve Palladino

tko-5

Post by tko-5 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:40 pm

Glade you tracked it down, it would be great if we can come up with a 118 in a different die state, you did just fine, tracking them down is not easy, you are patiant and have a good eye to track it down, keep learning I say your doing very well, most get overwelmed with all the DDOs, the secret is learning the hub differences, when a coin comes in the first thing I do is track down what hub group it belongs, once that is understood the search becomes easy uselly with good results, years back a fellow named "Brian" you know him, anyway he decided to find most of the Eisenhower RPMs on his own, and he did, with pataince he slowly tracked them down, but for two he discovered the rest, I could not resist nicknaming him " Eagle eye" and he does have a sharp eye ;)

It would be great to have a person from CA learn these files, you know I had a conversation with Rob, we discused the need to find young blood to teach, to become the next attributor, I give myself but so many years after that a young gun will have the job of running with the ball, a person with pataince and stability and a sharp eye ;) :)

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:23 am

Forgot to say earlier: maybe the later die state accounts for the increased separation of the R from Ike's head and the slightly more abbreviated serifs?

If you want an eagle eye and young blood, try my daughter. She picks up little nuances on coins that floor me. She has some nice DD moderns and some nice world coin clashes. ;)
Steve Palladino

tko-5

Post by tko-5 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 am

Yes, you are right, woman do have a sharp eye to detail, I have herd sometime ago woman make better attributors on average then men, they have as all women an eye to detail, a male can miss it and on average a femal sees it, so for us guys that can should continue, show her and see how she does Dad, maybe your right, the only way is to see how or if is by trial and error.