1972 S- DDO

foundinrolls

1972 S- DDO

Post by foundinrolls » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:01 am

Hi All,

This is my first post here so , Please let me say Hello!

This is a 1972 S DDO....It's tough to light these things so that you can see everything but this is just a quick attempt to show the coin. I am not sure of which DDO it is.

Thanks,
Bill O'

BillSanders

Re: 1972 S- DDO

Post by BillSanders » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:54 am

Hi Bill,
Welcome to the Ike Forum.
Wexler lists about four different DDO's for this "blue" Ike (business strike). DDO-1,12,13 & MD(from master die doubling).
I'm not sure where I would guess-i-mate ;) this coin without seeing it in hand. Good pictures of the L ,I & B would help to narrow it down as the master die doubling seems to show up on the IGWT and is probably common to all the coins
(depending on die state).
Hope this helps,
Bill

foundinrolls

Post by foundinrolls » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:04 pm

Hi Bill,

Thank You for your welcome:-)

I try to get some other shots later today.

Thanks,
Bill O'

DaveWantuck

Post by DaveWantuck » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi foundinrolls...
Welcome to the Ike Group Bill O'....I found this place weeks back(I meant to e-mail you about this) and I cannot believe ALL the info I've gleaned from these guys....just like a kid in the ole proverbial candy store....I think you're going to enjoy this group Bill...nice guys with lots, and I mean LOTS of Ike material...this has to be the 'quintessential' Ike site on the web...
Dave
"Life isn't about waiting for the
storm to pass...it's about learning
to dance in the rain"

foundinrolls

Post by foundinrolls » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi Dave,

It's good to see you:-)

From what I can see so far, if there is anything Ike related, this is the place to be. I don't get a chance to search through Ikes often but I just got a few hundred from a local bank:-). This forum was mentioned in CW and it turned out to be at exactly the right time. I need all the help I can get on these:-)

Have Fun,
Bill

foundinrolls

Post by foundinrolls » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Hi,

I can see, although it isn't easy...Minor doubling at the top of the "L" and the top of the "I". There is a fairly nice split on the lower portion of the B.

Although I am not able to get a picture tonight, there is the most minute doubling of the word "AMERICA" on the reverse. It is most notable on the "R". In any case...here are the "L", the "I" and the "B" of LIBERTY.

Thanks,
Bill

BillSanders

Post by BillSanders » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi Bill,
Does this coin have 2 horizontal die stratches between DO of DOLLARS? If so it's a DDO-012 pg 154 of Wexler's "The Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars."
If not look for doubling in the hair on the top of the head for DDO-013.
Hope this helps,
Bill

foundinrolls

Post by foundinrolls » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi Bill,

This is all a Great help! On this coin...I don't see anything around the DO of dollar.

And... I should have gone a little further with the obverse. I am not familiar enough with the hair to see if there is any doubling. With that in mind, I would say that I don't see any but that could be wrong.

What I do see is stronger doubling on the "R" of LIBERTY than there is on the "B". Does that help?

Bill O'

BillSanders

Post by BillSanders » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:57 am

Hi Bill,
The picture of the R shows a set of serifs on the lower left leg. Wexler's picture show a serif or doubling line on the opposite side of this leg for his DDO-MD. Which he says " is "found on both 1972-s business strikes and proofs. It is worth no premium as it is from a master die and is extremely common."
This is not what we have here.
The B , E & L in his pictures show no split in the lower right serifs. (He calls for a Die Marker "Obverse- Die Crack in hair under R of LIBERTY".) If no die crack, I believe this is not a DDO-001.
That leaves us with DDO-012 & DDO-013 pg 154 & 155).
DDO-012 calls for Wexler's "Reverse-Doubled Die Reverse, DDR-WH2. Die Scratches between DO of DOLLAR". NO die Scratches - Not DDO-012.
Thus DDO-013, Wexler's "DIE MARKERS: Obverse-Die crack in hair between R and T of LIBERTY. REVERSE - Doubled Die reverse, DDR-WH2( pg 144 This doubled reverse working huh was used for both 1971S Ikes and 1972S Ikes)"
If it does not have Obverse Die crack you may have a new variety ( check CONECA's listings to see if any were added since his book-2007).
Please post pictures of the affected areas.
I love your pictures- Microscope or digital set up?
Thanks,
Bill

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Cool find!

I was heading to the local B&M today to get a couple holders for a friend and saw the DDO-012 in his case unattributed so I grabbed it.

Thanks for information on what to look for.

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!