72-S MS67 Silver Business Strike

1872Hokie

72-S MS67 Silver Business Strike

Post by 1872Hokie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Well, I picked up a 72-S 40% in MS-67 from Charles for a very fair price considering it is a Shadow Ike:
Then, when it arrives I put it under the scope and found this...
He neglected to tell me that it was a TDO! Thanks again Charles!

Tom and Steve, if I had to place an attribution on it, I was leaning toward IDDDO-6 72 S BS, but it lacks the spikes on the back of Ike's neck. Also, there does not appear to be a die crack on the "A" in STATES of the reverse (although this strike could predate that marker i guess). MMP comparison does not appear to be possible based on the IDDD website photo.
I took a look at IDDDO-27, but the MMP does not appear to match.

Again, sorry for the subpar photos, but any thoughts on the attribution would be greatly appreciated!
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan

SteveP
Global Moderater

Re: 72-S MS67 Silver Business Strike

Post by SteveP » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:42 pm

Bryan,
I am not the expert, but it looks like Hub 8 - the same hub that produced the FS-101 72S SP family.
Regardless, here's the MMP:
Attachments
72S TDO.jpg
Steve Palladino

tko-5

Post by tko-5 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:15 am

Hi Bryan, Your coin is not IDDDO-27 - hub 8 has a nice spread as your coin does - the question here is - is it a working hub (Hub8) or might it be a working die TDO like Steve's coin turned out to be. What is going on with LIBERTY, you have no notation for LIBERTY - Steve P did well with IDDDO-027 - I have up-dated the written information regarding Steve's IDDDO-027 to help all with decisions regarding sending the coin in. If the coins spread reads exactly as hub 8 does then most likely that is what you have - however do look for anything different or odd - may be a sign that the die is different or may be a working die TDO or better.
Often I see differences from what is shown in pictures on this and my forum, in fact most pictures I see on the net do not tell the whole story.

Tom

1872Hokie

Post by 1872Hokie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks for your help Tom and Steve. Now that I compare it to my fs-101 I see what you mean. I will post more pictures later.
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan

1872Hokie

Post by 1872Hokie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 am

Just got word back from Tom on this one.
It'll be posted on the IDDD website in the "New as of 2008 DDO/DDR" section, but for the Reverse, not the Obverse.
The reverse is a Tripled working die DDR over a known Master Die DDR!
Thought I'd share the update.
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan