Need help with this 71 SP

Pacecar

Need help with this 71 SP

Post by Pacecar » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi all, I have spent all morning trying to figure out this 71 SP Ike. I believe that it is a DDO, but am not knowledgeable enough yet to pull the trigger on it. The "R" and the "9" sure look to me like they have some strong doubling. Any help and comments would be appreciated. Also what kind of value/grade would you give it?
71proof.jpg

SteveP
Global Moderater

Re: Need help with this 71 SP

Post by SteveP » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:57 am

I have at least one 71S SP with the exact same R and absolutely no DDO. I suspect the right side tail of the R is artifact from mint work on the hub. You'll see it on some 72S SPs as well.
Steve Palladino

tko-5

Post by tko-5 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Hello Pacecar, My Name is Thomas Kalantzis I own and am the Doubled die Attributor for IDDD - IDDD is a trademarked organization that attributes not just Ike's but this matter after looking at your picture I do not see anything going on - however many times people send me coins telling me it has a DDO that turns out to be nothing more then a master die while the reverse has a nice new tripled or more spread - to learn a great deal about the Ike dollar doubled die go to www.ikedollardoubledie.com or email me at t9k9o9@comcast.net if you need any further help.

Sorry I could not help ant firther.
Tom

Pacecar

Post by Pacecar » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks for the replies. I got the coin in hand and it is nowhere near what it looked like in the pictures. I think that the problem with pictures on the net, or in general, is the light reflections on the proof surfaces make it look like something it isn't. Oh well, just another coin I overpaid for, that list grows longer everyday. :oops: