A basic guide for 1971-S BS Ikes doubled die searches

Sumdunce

A basic guide for 1971-S BS Ikes doubled die searches

Post by Sumdunce » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:45 am

In order to help members get into looking for doubled dies I threw together a basic guide which should help. I used the 1971-S since there are just so many DDO, DDR, and DDO/DDR coins still out there waiting to be found.

I have included specific references to help find those worth a bit of a premium.

As far as looking for DDO type coins:
I look at the "IB" of LIBERTY since there are some DDOs that will show a slight separation on either the left or right side of the shaft. This is a quick and easy pick up for 4, 5, and 6 varieties.

Next I look at the bottom and left side of the "GOD" in the IGWT motto. This is where some extra care has to come into play as the MDO has slightly less separation than a DDO. I look for a significant spread and fully split serifs to set aside for later variety attribution.

On the DDR type coins:
The second crater from the left on the Moon is the first point to look for as it is doubled on all DDR and MDR coins that I have pulled in so far. The spread on the top line usually indicates wether it is MDR or DDR. A thin spread will be a MDR whereas a wider spread will indicate a DDR variety. Before setting any aside for variety checking I usually check the stars around the field and the "C" in AMERICA. That is more of a confirmation step.

Next I check the "LL" of DOLLAR and the "IT" of UNITED for a quicker variety lookup. The "LL" will show serif separation at the bottom ends (die wear will diminish the appearance over time). The "IT" will show shaft separation and die wear does not seem to affect this as much as it does on the "LL". These usually indicate 2, 21, and 22 type DDRs.

If anyone is interested I will try to get images of the pickup points.

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

BillSanders

Re: A basic guide for 1971-S BS Ikes doubled die searches

Post by BillSanders » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:58 am

Thanks LaMont,
This is exactly the kind of information we need on our website! Please post pictures! Please put them under the respective DDO listing and note if a TPG has attributed them.
Your input is greatly appreciated.
Bill

Sumdunce

Re: A basic guide for 1971-S BS Ikes doubled die searches

Post by Sumdunce » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:55 pm

Ran out of time for this weekend.

I will get the images for these sometime next week.

I do have the images on the DDO-004/DDR-021 and will post them shortly.

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!