DDO-004/DDR-021 1971-S Ike...

Sumdunce

DDO-004/DDR-021 1971-S Ike...

Post by Sumdunce » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:08 am

So you want to go after the money coin on the 1971-S BS Eisenhower?

Here is a quick guide on the pickup points using a loupe.

For the obverse:
The "IB" of LIBERTY will show significant doubling on the RIGHT side of the shaft and is real easy to spot with a loupe. If that area is damaged then I move to the IGWT motto where "IN" and "TR" will show significant doubling on the LEFT side of the shaft and will have serif separation on the bottoms of those letters. If both those areas are not good then look at the shaft bottoms on the "RTY" of liberty as they have minor serif separation.

For the reverse:
The top line on the second crater from the left will show significant doubling. However, that is an indicator on most all of the DDR coins so next go to UNITED and look for shaft separation on the RIGHT side there will also be noticeable serif separation on the bottom. If that area is damaged then go to the earth and look for doubling. I pick up easiest on the islands off Florida as they are doubled quite nicely. Also the bottom serif on the first "S" in STATES is separated and is an indicator of DDR.

Of course what would a guide be without the "Eyeball quick pickups"?

There is a eye visible line on the moon just above the "DO" of DOLLAR. The obverse has a shiny flat area almost completely surrounding the potrait. Either one of these would not be a good indicator but together you have a fairly good shot at a 4/21.

I have noticed these eyeball indicators on all 15 of the 4/21s I have pulled. A word of caution as these may help for quick finds but die markers as these come and go. Therefore, nothing beats louping the coin without these eyeball indicators just to be sure.

I will post images if anyone is interested.

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

BillSanders

Re: DDO-004/DDR-021 1971-S Ike...

Post by BillSanders » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:05 am

Thanks LaMont,
This is exactly the kind of information we need on our website! Please post pictures! Please put them under the respective DDO listing and note if a TPG has attributed them.
I will copy this Topic under 1971S DDO-4, Please post pictures there.
Your input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Bill

Sumdunce

Re: DDO-004/DDR-021 1971-S Ike...

Post by Sumdunce » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:58 pm

I will post the images only on the page this had moved to in order to save disk space.

They will be posted here:
http://ikegroup.netfirms.com/ikegroup.o ... bd87de71b2

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!