1971 Ike DDR? Variety (new to Ikes)

roserichelle

1971 Ike DDR? Variety (new to Ikes)

Post by roserichelle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 pm

Hello everyone!
I am new to the Ike Group. I have spent lots of time researching Indian Heads, but now I am moving on to my collection of Ike's. (My grandmother saved lots of things)
I came across a circulated 1971 Ike, no mintmark so I'm assuming P. The reverse is DD. I can't find this variety on the Ike page. Are they common for the 1971 circulated?
Attachments
Ike DDR 1.5.jpg
Ike DDr 1.4.jpg
Ike DDR 1.3.jpg
Ike DDR 1.2.jpg
Ike DDR 1.1.jpg
ike DDR 1.jpg
Ike DDR 1 obv.jpg

SteveP
Global Moderater

Re: 1971 Ike DDR? Variety (new to Ikes)

Post by SteveP » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Welcome!

I hope this forum will serve you well as you move into Ikes.

It appears that the coin has MDD - shelf doubling produced in the process of producing the coin. As such, it does not represent die doubling. Therefore, it is not a true double die. These MDD can be found quite often in Ikes. Unfortunately, less scrupulous sellers will try to sell them on eBay as a double die.

There is a nice 1971 DDR that will eventually make it into the DIVa catalogue - once I get caught up with the many worthwhile projects that Terry and Brian have sent to me. ;)
Steve Palladino

roserichelle

Post by roserichelle » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:31 am

Thank you Steve. Everytime I search through coins I feel like I'm treasure hunting! -Learning new things along the way.
How can you tell the difference between a MDD and DD? I read something about the edges of the double being round vs. the other being square so to say.

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:29 pm

MDD tends to have a uniform shelf on one side of a device, and true doubling does not display a shelf. True doubling will have notching (and perhaps an associated high line), while MDD typically does not have notching.

Not long ago I went through some Ikes that I had put into a box labeled DDO/DDR when I first started collecting Ikes years ago. I recently pulled them out to find many were MDD. I've come a long way.

After learning what doubling really looked like, I next began to learn the very complex world of Ike up line doubling. ...and still unraveling that today.
Steve Palladino

roserichelle

Post by roserichelle » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks again.
I will go through some proofs that I have and do more research on the groups site. Lots of questions to come!