1974-D IKE DDO

MontCollector

1974-D IKE DDO

Post by MontCollector » Sat May 13, 2017 1:03 am

Got this one today. Nice notching in IGWT and in the "4" of the date.
1974DOBV-horz_opt.jpg
Nothing in "N" and "TR"
IMG_0001.JPG
In the "G" as well
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (61.38 KiB) Viewed 888 times
"ST" of Trust
IMG_0004.JPG
"E" of We
IMG_0005.JPG
"4" in the Date
IMG_0006.JPG
What do you think?

Thanks again...Mont

MontCollector

Re: 1974-D IKE DDO

Post by MontCollector » Sat May 13, 2017 1:31 am

Forgot to take photo of the "I" of In so here it is
IMG_0001.JPG

chuckster 125

Post by chuckster 125 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:05 am

Mont,

Congrats on the pick-up!

I would definitely send an e mail with pics to Dr. Wiles.

CONECA has one 1974D DDO listed and not with nice notching like your coin has!

MontCollector

Post by MontCollector » Sat May 13, 2017 1:42 pm

Thanks Chuckster!!

I did figure out who Dr. Wiles is. James Wiles from Variety Vista correct? I did send an email to him. We will see what he says.

Thanks again...Mont.

MontCollector

Post by MontCollector » Mon May 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Update: Over the weekend I sent photo's to Dr Wiles as chuckster suggested and to John Wexler.

Mr.Wexler has replied. He said he has no listings for the 1974-D Ikes. He also says this coin definitely looks to be a DDO. Am sending to him this week for attribution.

Here is a quote from his email. Copied and pasted directly from email to here.

"I don't have a listing for the 1974-D Ike dollars. Looks like you definitely have a DDO there but I would have to see the coin itself to do an actual listing. I've attached a copy of the guidelines for submitting coins."

Will keep you updated as I get more info if your interested.

Thanks for looking...Mont

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Mon May 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Personally, I feel you'll get nothing more than those two taking credit for calling it a DDO, and a small line at the bottom with your name as the discoverer - and they'll take one photograph, and assign a number to it from their numbering system which will get buried in all their other stuff. Whoopee.

Why not try to find coin #2 and let us put a DIVa number to it, with meaningful photographs that we can post here for all to see who are actively looking for Ikes on a Ike website - where Ikes are discussed? For this coin, we may not even require a second coin.
Steve's done a fantastic job breaking down new DIVas.

Entirely up to you...
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Mon May 15, 2017 3:43 pm

I may have one just like that. I'll have to check MMP.
Steve Palladino

MontCollector

Post by MontCollector » Mon May 15, 2017 5:42 pm

AndyO wrote:Personally, I feel you'll get nothing more than those two taking credit for calling it a DDO, and a small line at the bottom with your name as the discoverer - and they'll take one photograph, and assign a number to it from their numbering system which will get buried in all their other stuff. Whoopee.

Why not try to find coin #2 and let us put a DIVa number to it, with meaningful photographs that we can post here for all to see who are actively looking for Ikes on a Ike website - where Ikes are discussed? For this coin, we may not even require a second coin.
Steve's done a fantastic job breaking down new DIVas.

Entirely up to you...
Hmm didn't know it could make the list. Posted it here a few days ago, and there seemed to be little interest.

Personally yes I would love to have this make the DIVA list.It is a goal of mine to find a new DIVA. However this coin is raw and I believe the rules state only graded coins could make the list. I have never sent a coin in for grading and the whole process(Paperwork) seems a little scary to me. Can raw coins make the list?
SteveP wrote:I may have one just like that. I'll have to check MMP.
I took a photo of MMP just in case you wanted to see it.
IMG_0007.JPG

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Tue May 16, 2017 8:12 am

Yes, it needs to be in a holder so it has a serial number associated to it. You can send it to Steve or myself to submit if you do not have a membership at PCGS (or NGC). We'll pass along the associated fees. I would suggest just getting the "normal", regular membership at PCGS and submitting it yourself, but that's up to you.

It's also up to you and all others out there to persue the DIVa attribution. We see a lot of stuff, and do not/can not pursue them all - let alone tackle everything else going on in life. Send a private message or just ask outright in your posts if it's something you feel would be worthy of DIVa status.

I presume Steve would be the better choice on this one if indeed he has one himself (and being retired helps too!). I do not have any quantity of 74D on hand.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Tue May 16, 2017 4:48 pm

AndyO wrote:Yes, it needs to be in a holder so it has a serial number associated to it. You can send it to Steve or myself to submit if you do not have a membership at PCGS (or NGC). We'll pass along the associated fees. I would suggest just getting the "normal", regular membership at PCGS and submitting it yourself, but that's up to you.

It's also up to you and all others out there to persue the DIVa attribution. We see a lot of stuff, and do not/can not pursue them all - let alone tackle everything else going on in life. Send a private message or just ask outright in your posts if it's something you feel would be worthy of DIVa status.

I presume Steve would be the better choice on this one if indeed he has one himself (and being retired helps too!). I do not have any quantity of 74D on hand.
I would add that a coin needs to be in a TPG holder for us to attribute the coin formally.
That said, in adding DIVa tot he catalogue, we do that regardless of whether the coin is in a holder. We simply need a couple to study, photograph, and add to the catalogue. Once it is in the catalogue, then formal attribution requires that a coin is in a holder.
Steve Palladino