1971-S/S Ike...

Sumdunce

1971-S/S Ike...

Post by Sumdunce » Sun May 16, 2010 6:36 pm

I stopped by a local coin store that I had driven past many times. I have avoided the place in the past since they emphasize buying and selling gold and silver (mostly jewelry).

I am rather glad I stopped by. I asked if they had any blue pack or brown box Ikes. The guy said "We have bunches of them, how many you want". I stated how many you got (I figured a few hundred coins much like my trip a while back). He went to the back and brought out 2 brown box Ikes (1973 and 1974) and 30 blue packs (one 1974 rest were 1971). The 1973 brown box was nothing special and I passed. The 1974 brown box was small S (YES! my second). I looked at only one blue pack Ike. Sure enough I see the frost break off the upper wing on the back and I see two small raised spots off the last "T" in the IGWT motto. Without looking at any other coins I move the stack over to the "buy" area and keep looking at other Ikes they have in stock. I must admit I lost my "poker face" because I was jittery. The coins is a solid MS66 (IMHO) and all the blue packs were being sold one dollar over melt. I was hoping the S/S coins were in small groups as they have been when I have found them in the past and was finding it difficult to contain my excitement.

When I got them back home I confirmed the one S/S. It still looks MS66 under my grading lamp (we shall see if PCGS agrees). I found three DDO 1971-S, six DDR 1971-S, and one TDR 1971-S (will post images in another thread).

Keep looking guys they are still out there and some a being turned into places buying gold and silver.

V/R

LaMont

Edited to note TDR not TDO.
Eschew obfuscation!

Sumdunce

Re: 1971-S/S Ike...

Post by Sumdunce » Mon May 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Well, once again my grading skills are suspect...

The shiny spot on the lower jaw must have kept it low. I thought it was a struck through light grease area, guess I was wrong.

1 1 XXXXXXXX 396477 1971-S/S $1 Silver US MS65

Still not too bad I guess.

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Tue May 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Not too bad at all LaMont.

Post scans or photo's when you get it back.
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Thu May 27, 2010 9:23 pm

Here you go:

Regular view (attempt at normal lighting conditions:
SS_65_f1.jpg
Normal look at front.
SS_65_r1.jpg
Normal look at back.
Low angle light to highlight scuffs:
SS_65_f2.jpg
Low angle to emphasize the cheek and show practically no other marks or frost breaks.
SS_65_r2.jpg
Low angle to show practically no marks on eagle or fields.
There are a few very minor marks not picked up by the lens. I would suggest this is best viewed in hand. I may have to send this to DIVA for a second opinion. :D

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!