74-D odd mint mark

Chrishjr1976

74-D odd mint mark

Post by Chrishjr1976 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:34 am

I've looked at roughly 30 1974-d BS coins of various grades (AU53-MS66), but this MS65 looked very odd to me. Since I don't know as much as I would like about MDD, I would like to ask opinions from those on this forum for some insight. Under my scope I can clearly see 3 separate tips at the top of the D on this mint mark and it does show 3 different "tiers" to the mint mark. What are your thoughts?
Triple D on 20540769 - 1974-D Ike.jpg
Edited to re-add the photo that had been lost during site renovations.
Last edited by Chrishjr1976 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do what you can with what you have, where you are" Theordore Roosevelt

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Re: 74-D odd mint mark

Post by BrianVaile » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:45 am

HI Chris,
Thanks for the post and pics! Very interesting coin....Because of the shelf-like top, I would lean towards MDD. However, "when in doubt, I send it out!" Meaning, I refer to John Bordner, who is the MM guru. Sometimes I guess right, sometimes I am wrong, but I always learn something.

I don't remember seeing one like the one you show. Virtually all of my 74-D RPM's that I have found and had attributed (including the "Discovery Pieces", were from Mint Sets. I had acquired a small "hoard" of these over the years, looking for the 74-D DDO Kennedy Half. Decided to cut them all up one day and examine the 74-D Ikes.
Any one need any 74-P and D rolls of quarters, halves or Ikes? :lol:

Happy Hunting!
Brian

Chrishjr1976

Re: 74-D odd mint mark

Post by Chrishjr1976 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Brian,

The more and more I study the information on Wexler's site, the more I agree with you that it is most likely MDD. I still find it very interesting that the MM looks to have slid two different directions resulting in the 3 visible tips on the "D".

*Side note* I may be of interested in a roll of each 74 Ike you may have as a spare around the middle of next month. If you are serious about offering them for sale that is :)
"Do what you can with what you have, where you are" Theordore Roosevelt