1971 BS Ike... poor man's S/S or just another die state S/S?

Sumdunce

1971 BS Ike... poor man's S/S or just another die state S/S?

Post by Sumdunce » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:01 pm

When Lee mentioned that he found an S/S without the markers I went back to some that I had set aside to look at after I got the digital microscope. As is the case with me my memory is... uh... where was I?

So anyway, my trip to Ohio had one coin that I had thought was an S/S but the die markers did not match and in a subsequent 100 Ikes I found another oddity.

Well, I got off my butt and imaged them tonight so you all can offer your opinions on these.

Here we go:
possibleSS1.jpg
A better defined line but very faint. MS64
possibleSS2.jpg
No real line but has the ridge in the right spot. MS65
Anyway let me know what you think.

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

robEzerman

Re: 1971 BS Ike... poor man's S/S or just another die state S/S?

Post by robEzerman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:50 pm

LaMont, I am having the same experience as I'd like to find a pre-clash (pre-abrading) S/S: as you and Lee have found out there are several borderline candidates of which yours is the best.

But the bottom line is, unless we can find and publicize several clear-cut same-as S/S with no markers, the TPG's will be using the Markers for their attributions. IMHO, if the assigned PCGS grader for Ike Varieties had not found at least some of the markers we found, PCGS would not be attributing the S/S. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman