Two Types of Silver Proof Mint Marks?

KEN

Two Types of Silver Proof Mint Marks?

Post by KEN » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:39 am

Are there two types of S mint marks on the 1974S Silver Proof Ike's? I have some Ike's with a blob S and some with a clear S similar to the 1979S Susan B Anthony TypeI and Type II.
Thanks Ken

robEzerman

Re: Two Types of Silver Proof Mint Marks?

Post by robEzerman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi, Ken - Wiles has the best account of the 74-S MM's, page 19 of his Ike book outlines the older MM and three Stages of the new MM.

The third of the three stages has an appearance consistent with either RPM or a hub-doubled mintmark. Wexler calls it an RPM with no discussion and has a full page photo of it in his book toward the end.

The closest to a "blob" appearance is the second of three: like the third it has a notch at the upper left corner and is the least common of the four. Wiles says it is the most rare of the four.

I have no expertise here, just reporting what I read in Wiles and Wexler. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

KEN

Post by KEN » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:07 am

Rob, Thanks for that information. I'm not familiar with Wiles Book, the only book I have on IKE Dollar's is "The Authoritive Reference on Eisenhower Dollars. Could you give me the name of the book please? Ken

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:52 am

Ken, CONECA Attribution Guide to Eisenhower Dollar Die Varieties, James Wiles, Ph.d..

Inside cover says "For additional copies, write to:
James Wiles, 9017 Topperwind Ct. Fort Worth, TX 76134

email address is: jameswiles@sbcglobal.net Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:53 am

Ken, forgot to ask if you would please ask James if there is anything new on the 74-S mintmark since his book. And please reference the Ike Group but not me personally. THANKS! Rob

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:41 am

I wonder if you can find any "Tilted Punch" marks in the proofs like there are
in the MS coins?....Especially in 1971?
Maybe the Proof people were able to take their time a little more, since they weren't
making as many?
Brian