Should the 1971 D/D RPM be included on our RPM list

BillSanders

Should the 1971 D/D RPM be included on our RPM list

Post by BillSanders » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:14 am

Should the 1971 D/D RPM shown in the following Topics be included on our RPM list?

http://ikegroup.sslpowered.com/ikegroup ... 463df0a0e3

http://ikegroup.sslpowered.com/ikegroup ... 463df0a0e3

Bill

19Lyds

Re: Should the 1971 D/D RPM be included on our RPM list

Post by 19Lyds » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:05 pm

I agree.

Has someone contacted Coin World or composed an article regarding this find?

Perhaps the Coin of the Month posting could be used with some feeders back to the IKE Group web site?
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Lee, we're doing some research on the '71 D/D, all I can say here and now, holding off publicity until we have something more than speculation to write about. Thanks for your input, you're right on target, as usual. We might even be able to shed some light on the "Nature - Nurture" D/D question. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:49 pm

There are so few RPM's in this short series, I believe that they are deserving of some
sort of worthy designation. CPG already features the 71-S/S...I think the 71-D/D is just
as "worthy".
JMHO,
Brian

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:04 pm

BrianVaile wrote:There are so few RPM's in this short series, I believe that they are deserving of some
sort of worthy designation. CPG already features the 71-S/S...I think the 71-D/D is just
as "worthy".
JMHO,
Brian
All I can say is that 40 years ago, a Morgan was just a Morgan. Folks collected them and collected them. It then got to the point where everybody had them and those that couldn't afford the High Grade BU examples, began looking more closely at each coin until eventually the VAM collector was born.

I feel that this exact scenario will play out with the Eisenhower Dollars. Folks have known about them since their inception and only the High Grade Examples command any significant premiums. Its only a question of time before folks really begin to look at them objectively and start identifying and documenting these interesting varieties!

20 years ago, who'd of thought for a second to start checking 1971-D's for RPM's?

Nobody thats who! Because they were always looking for the obvious and therefore not "seeing" for the unobvious! I imagine thats how Charles Cataldo "discovered" the RDV-006 (Friendly Eagle). The Attribution Guide to Eisenhower Dollars was published in 1997 and the Authoritative Reference was released in 1998. Late 1999, Charles Cataldo notices something different about a 1971-D he had. Coincidence or did the release of those two references actually play a significant part in his search?

I'm all for including this new variety in any way shape or form!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Lee, well said.

Several years ago I bought a copy of the most recent huge VAM book and finally got around to reading the early chapters (it's packed away but I think 700 pages and just chock full of specific details and endless tables including the heritage and features of each and every Morgan die (the Mint retained their die records along with correspondence and internal memos so the authors had a wealth of material from which to work).

The earliest VAM publishing efforts were little thin booklets describing 25 or 50 VAMs and it took the authors around 10 years to get their first book published.

Wonderful model for our publishing efforts (which will include the Ike D/D RPM's even though technically these are doubled punches and not classic RPM's. John Bordner assured me that "RPM" is accurate in both cases. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

Texas

Post by Texas » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:37 pm

robEzerman wrote:
Wonderful model for our publishing efforts (which will include the Ike D/D RPM's even though technically these are doubled punches and not classic RPM's. John Bordner assured me that "RPM" is accurate in both cases. Rob

Rob, could you elaborate on this, maybe it's been posted here somewhere before. but this is a first for me.
I always thought these to be clean, cut and dry rpms? :?

Jim
I'm intrigued the most by what I know the least about... at least until I know more. - J. Owens

AaronMiller

Post by AaronMiller » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:44 am

Same question as Texas, regarding the status of doubled punch vs re-punched die.

As I think through the process of making a punch, I just don't see how this dramatic doubling could occur without the entire letter looking really screwed up... but when I think through the process of re-punching a die I can visualize how this D/D would occur.