A NEWLY ATTRIBUTED IKE RPM 1971 D/D

robEzerman

A NEWLY ATTRIBUTED IKE RPM 1971 D/D

Post by robEzerman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:43 am

Guys, HOT NEWS!!

Ike Club Member Tom (TKO-5) just told me a 1971-D Ike he submitted to John Bordner (NCADD President and their MM attributor) received "1971-D WRPM-001" attribution.

CONGRATULATIONS, TOM!!!

The Doubled-D has a large upper left notch (Northwest corner of the D), see preliminary pictures below.

Let's all keep our eyes peeled for this newly discovered Ike DD and the others just waiting to be discovered... :P
Rob
Attachments
71ddc(2).jpg
71ddb(2).jpg
71dda(2).jpg
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

AaronMiller

Re: A NEWLY ATTRIBUTED IKE RPM

Post by AaronMiller » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:48 pm

That seems easy enough to see!

Good job on finding this, Tom!

With all the other production problems in 71, there must be more RPM's to be discovered!

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:50 pm

Congratulations Tom!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

BillSanders

Post by BillSanders » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:10 pm

Good Job Tom,
The split serif on the top left sure looks like a split serif from doubling? :?
Does any of the underlying letter show clearly with a scope?

A remarkable Find!
Bill

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Great find!

Congratulations!

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

jello

Post by jello » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:27 am

Wow that's great!

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:23 pm

BillSanders wrote:Good Job Tom,
The split serif on the top left sure looks like a split serif from doubling? :?
Does any of the underlying letter show clearly with a scope?

A remarkable Find!
Bill
Since the mint marks are applied after the die has been prepared, any doubling which shows up is solely due to an RPM.

Machine or ejection doubling would not have clearly distinct serif separation and can usually be used to determine machine doubling from an actual doubled die. Primarily because of when the mint mark is applied.

I don;t think I am expressing myself very clearly but the mint mark is never doubled on a true doubled die coin. It is one of the flags in determining a true doubled die.
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Lee, you're correct, but the issue with Tom's Ike is whether the doubling of the D is due to a normal "D" punch punched twice or is it due to a doubled punch?

Soft evidence for this being a doubly punched die is it's apparent scarcity (a doubly punched die would presumably have a one die production but a doubled punch would likely "infect" numerous dies), just thinking out loud. . .

Of course, if a doubled punch was diagnosed early on it would probably be tossed.

Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

Paul54

Post by Paul54 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:11 pm

Nice find Tom.

AaronMiller

Post by AaronMiller » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:38 am

I feel the spread is too great to be a doubled punch, and it is a true RPM.

Think through the process of how these are made and I think you'll agree. For a doubled punch, more metal on the punch would be pushed out of the way and the doubling would be most evident on the top of the mint mark and/or very close to the sides of the mint mark letter, as we see on the 74-S. As the doubling becomes more separated, the first impressions would be sheared off.

If one had a punch shaped like a triangle, and turned it 60 degrees and then tried to re-impress the image onto the punch, you would end up with a much smaller hexagon punch, or something close, not a doubled triangle.