Got one of my 1971-S/S BS Ikes back today...

Sumdunce

Re: Got one of my 1971-S/S BS Ikes back today...

Post by Sumdunce » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:02 pm

Both Ikes are now in hand and both have the die markers. Both are from different sources, one was from the Las Vegas collection while one was a blue pack purchase from Florida area (different source blue pack that was purchased but could not definitely state it was local B&M or online purchase). Remember that the pair I had from the old collection were split up with one now residing in Lee's collection.

Also, there are some curved lines from "I" through "B" and leading to Ike's head. Further, there are two raised "bumps" that appear to be die gouges that have been partially abraded away east by southeast of the last "T" in "TRUST" (basically in line with the "1" shaft) that are visible to the naked eye even under low lighting conditions.

My imaging capabilities seem to be unable to catch these markers (I will try again later tonight or early tomorrow). I really hope I can get the two "gouges" but these may have to be imaged by someone with much better imaging equipment than I currently have (hint, hint, Rob).

V/R

LaMont
Last edited by Sumdunce on Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eschew obfuscation!

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:34 pm

LaMont, I bet Lee is really getting impatient with me, one thing after another has occupied me and his shipment of Ikes sits lonely in my coin room :( :oops: .

Tonight's their night, however. . . :) .

Would you please look your two over carefully for any signs of die clash? That would explain the abrasion lines including the marker abrsion lines Gary and Allen found running between GOD and TRUST.

Tonight, grab a small strong flashlight and shine it obliquely at right angles to your abrasions and they may light up nicely.

It's almost funny that the math of Ike finds is probably best handled by chaos theory as there are clusters that are otherwise inexplicable:

- David found about 16 71-S SB peg leg Ikes, half SPL's! I've found 2 of almost 30, far more typical of their scarcity;
- You seem to "luck out" with S/S;
- I've lucked out with the 71-D Tiger Claw variety, I'm up to 13 pulled from about 6 rolls of 71-D Ikes I'd set aside for "Keep, no subs" and 2 rolls of "Poss. Subs".
- Out of almost 50 BU FEV's I've cherried from purchased 71-D rolls, not one MS66, not one MS65, not one DDO/DDR (2 of 50 circ FEV's are DDO/DDR's). Lee cherried several MS66 (I think) and 6% of his FEV's are DDO. DDR or DDO/DDR. Go figure!! Rob

Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Rob,

I looked over the two and although I see plenty of abrasion lines (even on Ike's head) I do not see residual clash images. I use a 22 watt circular flourescent on a swing arm to light up the coin (the big magnifying glass type). I pull in the light source close and use my 16X loupe when looking.

I have tried and tried to image those two "gouges" but to no avail. So instead I called in the wife and had her confirm the location with me as I attempted to transcribe their location on a scan image of one of the coins.

Here is the modified image:
71SS_marker.jpg
The two red lines are at the approximate location of the two die "gouges".
V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:29 pm

LaMont, thanks to you and your wife for pushing on with the S/S markers. A quick supper and I'm off to Lee's Ikes. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

AaronMiller

Post by AaronMiller » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:18 pm

LaMont, I have confirmed the two gouges above the 1, and am happy to say they are naked eye visible on all 4 of mine! Looking for these without a loupe will be incredible!

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:25 pm

My new imaging hardware took down my Internet connection (killed it in a way that I have never seen before). In fact it managed to kill the internet connection on three of the eight computers before I noticed that it was running amok!

After a restore to last night's backup, and a complete shutdown and poweroff of all systems, I am able to bring myself back online. :)

Here is an image of the S/S I got before I noticed how messed up the computer was:
SoverS.jpg
She's a beaut Clark!
So, from now on I will be able to get better images of the small stuff. Of course that is after I master the whole light source issue. :lol:

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:23 pm

robEzerman wrote:Sumdunce, that is one heck of a valuable contribution, thanks so much!

I still have two of Lee's S/S here for photography and I'll check them for this marker and report back shortly. Rob
I thought I only sent you the one Rob?? :shock:
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:27 pm

BTW, I have an S/S that does NOT have the 9 line.

And another little BTW, those die markers make determination and purchase the simplest thing in the world!

LaMont is da MAN!
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

BillSanders

Post by BillSanders » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Rob, plus you have mine.
Bill

AaronMiller

Post by AaronMiller » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:08 am

Lee,

Does your S/S that lacks the line through the 9 have the other markers? Particularly the two marks above the 1?

Aaron