1974S proof silver peg leg

These Peg Legs were created by the polishing (or abrading) done to the area between Ike's head and the "R" on the working or master dies.
AndyO
Site Admin

1974S proof silver peg leg

Post by AndyO » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:55 pm

I'm officially asking: Does anyone have a picture to post? It has to be silver.
Last edited by AndyO on Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

19Lyds

Re: 1974S silver peg leg

Post by 19Lyds » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:11 pm

I've got a copper nickel but no silver.........<sniff>
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: 1974S proof silver peg leg

Post by AndyO » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm officially going on rercord and saying that there is no such thing as a 74S silver proof peg leg. I have yet to find one after searching extensively, and I have yet to find anyone else who has one either, let alone in their possesion for proof.

I do have one that is darn close, but under a little maginification, there are serifs present.

I own 4 or 5 74S clad proof eskimo-boot peg legs, but that's it. So if anyone can produce a silver one live and in concert, let me know. I'd be very interested to photograph.

BILL, I'D LIKE TO MOVE THIS WHOLE TOPIC UNDER THE PROPER FORUM. I CAN'T SINCE THE WEBSITE'S BEEN RESTORED. CAN YOU HELP?
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

THUNDRLIPZ

Post by THUNDRLIPZ » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:06 pm

Andy, I have two 74-S Silver Proof's in ANACS holder's that have "peg leg" designated on them but I'm not sure if they are 100% really peg legs or not. I have another one that is PCGS (of course not designated) that looks even more than the others. Actually, the PC one looks like a severe faded peg leg (if that makes any sense). You would be welcome to take a look at them if you want... not sure if that helps or not.

Konstantinos

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Konstantinos, if/when you purchase and receive your "Special Edition", you'll see that yours is one of two examples in the "Mud Room" Chapter of what I consider true die-state eskimo boot peg legs, that is, no serif.

Your specimen and another from Aaron MIller and Cal, along with several from Bill FIvaz and others I photographed for the chapter, have led me to propose the following approach to get a handle on the 73 and 74 proofs that look like an eskimo boot but have a residual serif:

Grade A = no serif, period (I've only seen four examples) under 90X microscope;
Grade B = tiny serif visible with 10X loupe;
Grade C = tiny (not obtrusive) serif visible by naked eye.

(This A-B-C grading system has worked well with die-clash images and I'm proposing we use it also for the die-abrasion, die-state peg leg Ikes:
Grade A = tapered peg leg
Grade B = straight peg leg
Grade C = flared peg leg.)

(I'm also proposing A-B-C for PPL and "Almost PPL proof Ikes:
Grade A = PPL that meets our published criteria;
Brade B = our previously named "Almost PPL"
Grade C = Proofs that look like PPL's, in particular that carry the weak "O" of "GOD" but whose neck of "G", though visibly skinny, is fatter than the <50% the G's staff: Grade C would apply mostly to the 72, 73 and 74 Ike Proofs whose dies look to have been weakly hubbed but whose more robust design Motto precludes the neck of the G shrinking to <50% of the G's staff.

I think Andy is correct that what I'm calling the Design Eskimo Boot Peg Leg is a rare bird, indeed. I've found only two, both silvers, in a dealer's case at a Baltimore Convention back in '06, sitting pretty as you please, side by side, in cardboard flips, selling for $6 each, common 74-S Silver price proof at the time.

Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman