1971 D and 1972 D Peglegs

These Peg Legs were created by the polishing (or abrading) done to the area between Ike's head and the "R" on the working or master dies.
AndyO
Site Admin

Re: 1971 D and 1972 D Peglegs

Post by AndyO » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Steve, also keep in mind that we try to be an open minded consortium. Our group is not perfect and certainly we are not always harmonious on our thoughts and beliefs. Peg legs are not the only area where our group may have varied opinions. Also keep in mind that the book is labeled Facts, Photos, and THEORIES for those very reasons. Some things we have cold hard information on, and there are some other area we can only speculate with common sense since there is no hard research trail available.

My notion of peg legs being defined differently than some others in the group is not necessarily a bad thing; it's a matter of each individual being transparent with their thoughts to help and allow others to use their own brains and generate their own opinions and conclusions. (Plus I love duking it out with Rob!)

Worry not, as we are hard at work behind the scenes right now on an effort that will define what we are going to label as DIVAs. Hopefully that will generate some excitement for Ike collectors and spur an invigorated effort when Ike searching. After all, the big picture is all about having fun.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:55 pm

tko-5 wrote:The second type is a repair tool, dremal like, used on the hub to repair or change the the shape of the R in liberty ( straight leg ).
This second type tool can be and I believe was used this time with wheel type fine wire brush used on the working hub and working die. Used on the working die to remove clash marks and other issues on the die face.
I have a 1971-S SB Ike that has the appearance of heavy use of a fine wire brush use over the entire reverse die. I sent it off to Rob but erroneously used the term "prototype finish" which caused some confusion with the two discovered prototypes. What I should have stated was "experimental reverse die finish". The appearance is rather unique as all the details are subdued to a point where the coin exhibits a surface which looks like it was covered in a thick silver paint. Were it not for the few contact marks on the coin I would have probably junked it as a painted coin. I don't know if Rob has photos of it still, and it is packed away in one of the safes, therefore it would take me a while to find it if you want images of it.

V/R

S
Eschew obfuscation!

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:06 am

Andy-
The openess and transparency of the Ike Group in this forum as they have (and continue to) developed concepts and ideas, and have presented their findings and observations, is something that I have learned from, and have been motivated by, in my growing enthusiasm for collecting Ikes. Bantering is an important part of the process and is appreciated. The advancement of Ike collecting is served.
AOskam wrote:Worry not, as we are hard at work behind the scenes right now on an effort that will define what we are going to label as DIVAs.
This is very important. As a collector, chasing a moving target is not fun. Seeing flared peg legs depicted and discussed in an authoratative text (as opposed to a forum), as is done in Chapter 3, conveys some degree of stability in that concept. I do understand that concepts evolve sometimes and paradigms can shift. For the time being, I am content in my #1 77D satisfying my Chapter 3 paradigm of a die abrasion flared peg leg ;)
Steve Palladino

HerbHicks

Post by HerbHicks » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:18 am

<<I was praying the 72-P bag was all Type 2s but no such luck all Type 1s!!!>>

Sorry, too greedy! The most type 2's I would expect in a 1972 mint sealed bag would be about 150. In a live batch, they appeared at a ratio of between 1 in 6 and 1 in 7.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:27 pm

flared peg leg
An oxymoron in my book - kind of like "controlled chaos", "civil war", or "gigantic micro-organism". I would have added "Army Intelligence" but Charles may have something to say about that.

Either way, no problems here, enjoy your Ikes!

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:26 pm

And "peg leg" is sooooo insensitive. Maybe "serif-challenged" would be better :lol:
Steve Palladino

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:04 am

While at Baltimore I met with a dealer whom I do business with on occasion who is a variety junkie - big on VAMS, ets. He had in his possession about 20 74D peg legs from a bag of about 380 Ikes, various years. All were about MS62 - MS63.

tko-5

Post by tko-5 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Sundance, your coins finish would interest me much, first is it unc, how did you find it, is it now slabbed, if you like you could send this coin in to me so I could examine it, no fee from me, if I find it an important coin I could send it in if you like and you would only pay for Anacs fees, sorry to date the other grade services are still on the old page, time is on our side, for sure the worm will turn.

I think Andy's latest observations at the Baltimore Show has put the 72 P and the 74 D about the same 40 for each for sure hard number, any opinions on the soft numbers, if I have it wrong please chime in.

I have one 1971 S straight peg-leg listed - IDDDO-118 on that page, I only listed the doubling with a number because of it being a peg-leg, now it will be on file as such, sorry no link and off the top of my head may not have pictures yet, I am up to my ears in this, lucky I am retiered, how many straight peg-legs
for 1971 S, and are they from that same hub and die, I would love to find out, this is the kind of stuff that helps me to realize the "why" and when we find out the why, it puts us very close or even an out right explanantion.

A Big shout out for Brian Vaile and Steve Palladino, there coins have leaked out the evidents that I needed to see it for my self, these coins together have shown me "why" the 73 101 is a master and found on both high and low relief 1973 S dies, I have that die or something very close & listed on the 71 S page, here is a short link to one of them. http://www.ikedollardoubledie.com/idddo ... wd-e-s.php

Is there bonafied sales info, for instance, say a sale was known to have happened and sale price also known with grade, no names or any other info.

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:22 pm

TKO,

The coin with the reverse finish is UNC (PCGS MS64). I'll see if I can dig it out of the safes.

I also have what I believe is a IDDDO+V-118 71-S straight leg ( X Rare ) if you want to image that for your website.

V/R

S
Eschew obfuscation!

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:15 am

I bought a roll of BU 72D Ikes at one of the local coin shops yesterday. 5 of the 20 were peg legs - none of which had clashes. Of the other 15 with Rs that still had serifs in various states, 13 had clashes. Coincidence?
Steve Palladino