1976-P Type II, Abrasion Peg Leg

These Peg Legs were created by the polishing (or abrading) done to the area between Ike's head and the "R" on the working or master dies.
DoubleJ

1976-P Type II, Abrasion Peg Leg

Post by DoubleJ » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:10 pm

I just received an AmScope USB 2.0MP camera for my microscope and with 144 pages in the manual it is going to be a challenge how to figure out to best utilize the combination. I was hoping to have a larger field-of-view of the coin, but even at the microscopes lowest power, the camera only captures a small section.

The attachments are from a 1976-P, Type II abrasion peg leg. The coin has die abrasion in Ike's ear, throat, nose, and entirely around the head. This lead to the eroding of the left serif on the "R". I've included pictures of the "R", ear, in front of the eye, and the neck area east of WE.
Attachments
1976 Type II, Field Abrasion Lines.jpg
1976 Type II, Eye Abrasion Lines.jpg
1976 Type II, Ear Abrasion Lines.jpg
1976 Type II, Abrasion Peg Leg.jpg
DoubleJ, DDG-24 Semper Confidens

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: 1976-P Type II, Abrasion Peg Leg

Post by AndyO » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:14 pm

Just a friendly heads up: that's not a peg leg you have pictured.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks, I was basing my observation on 8 other Type II's I have that have left and right flared sherifs and the separation from Ike's head is much closer. The left serif on this coin is much less flared and the distance from Ike's head is quite noticeable in comparison. The right serif is flared, but not as much as a typical Type II.

I've been trying to find a picture of another example to make a side-by-side verification.

AOskam, could you point me in the right direction to locate another 1976 Type II peg leg example? Thanks again.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:50 am

To date, no such animal exists. There are Denver 76 T2 peg legs in abundance, however. I will see about getting a picture up for you.

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:40 am

AOskam wrote:To date, no such animal exists. There are Denver 76 T2 peg legs in abundance, however. I will see about getting a picture up for you.
Hmmm...try here.
Steve Palladino

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:00 am

Steve, that's the same thing. A little more beat up with maybe a later die state, but no cookie. Definite serif on the right side with minor flare on the left. It has a larger gap between scalp and letter like many peg legs, but the shape of the leg is the final dictator.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:25 am

Here's what we would call a "just barely made it" 76D T2 peg leg. It has just an ever-so slight bulge at the left side of the foot. Don't confuse the shape with the highest relief outline on the leg (darker, highest area). Use the point along the entire leg where field stops and relief of the leg begins (the absolute left side of the thin shiny are along the left side of the leg). Also take note of the entire leg from very top to very bottom of the R. Notice how it is wider at the very top of the whole letter as opposed the very bottom of the leg.
76D T2.jpg
Expect tighter peg leg requirements as we move forward. Much of that will be spelled out in the next book, and possibly with some collaborative work with other entities.

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:18 pm

Parallel lines (from the top part of the R) added for comparison. :?
I am looking forward to reading the new chapter (and looking at the new photos). :geek:
Attachments
Andy's 76D T2 peg leg with lines.png
Andy's 1976D T2
Andy's 76D T2 peg leg with lines.png (251.04 KiB) Viewed 3290 times
1976 T2 spl with lines.jpg
1976 T2
Steve Palladino

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:38 pm

I very much appreciate the conversation that this coin has generated. I have viewed SteveP's PCGS #7419 and this coin appears to be very similar to his coin.

I have attached two more pictures of the coin trying to better show the left side of the "R". In one of the pictures I've turned the coin upside down to eliminate the glare.

The search and discussion has been well worth the posting even if it is difinitively determined not be an abraded peg leg.

DoubleJ
Attachments
1976 Type II, Peg Leg Photo 2.jpg
1976 Type II, Upside Down Photo 3.jpg

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Your last picture presents and excellent trick that a lot of collectors are not aware of: turn the coin upside down to view. It allows the human brain to process the image in a much more objective manner because it's not "expecting" or comparing to what it recognizes normally. It's a great method for pre-screening coins to submit to TPG's in hopes of high grades. Note: it has the tendency to turn a 10 coin submission in to a 3 coin submission...

In that picture you can clearly see the serif on the bottom of the leg, in part due to the shadow generated.