1971-D Ike "Peg Leg"?

These Peg Legs were created by the polishing (or abrading) done to the area between Ike's head and the "R" on the working or master dies.
Sumdunce

1971-D Ike "Peg Leg"?

Post by Sumdunce » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:12 pm

I found one of these at a local B&M and it is "Peg Leg" or as close to it as you can get:
71-D_peg_leg.jpg
71-D_peg_leg_close.jpg
V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

robEzerman

Re: 1971-D Ike "Peg Leg"?

Post by robEzerman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:27 am

AGREE :D !

Any one interested in the die-abrasion Ike peg legs has a continuing tussle with how to define the darn thing but I keep coming back to the definitions I wrote in my IKE PEG LEG QUESTIONS piece which allow for some degree of "Red Wood Tree Trunk" flare at the foot of the peg leg.

In the works are three photographic atlases which will anchor this Web Site: the basic Ikes, the Ike DD's and the Ike Varieties. The varieties, including the generic and specific die abrasion peg legs will each have a set of photos that illustrate where the line can be drawn between "peg leg" and "almost peg leg".

As in all proferred pieces here, nothing is set in stone and the driving force is the aggragate opinion of our participants, but having a reference set of photos will provide a concrete basis by which to adjust and eventually set our definitions. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:31 pm

This one is an oddball, it has die abrasions all over it which gives the appearance of scratches on the coin. I almost did not take it as I thought it was damaged and did not have my loupe.

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:20 am

I think sometimes the die setters got mad at clashed Ikes and had at 'em! :o Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

boothill40

Post by boothill40 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 am

Here's my one and only 71-D Peg leg just picked it up off ebay it's in PCGS MS 65 plastic, may have over payed but I still like it----Tom

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:01 am

Tom,
That's a NICE one!! Any Talon Head or other clashing marks?

Happy Hunting!
Brian

boothill40

Post by boothill40 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:56 am

BrianVaile wrote:Tom,
That's a NICE one!! Any Talon Head or other clashing marks?

Happy Hunting!
Brian

Straight peg leg no other clash marks to be seen-------Tom

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:17 am

Tom, at the risk of appearing greedy, I would love to examine and photograph your peg leg Ike if indeed you find no evidence of die clash?

Is there evidence of abrading where clash images normally are found?

Bill and Andy and I are still working on this theory: since the region between the bottom of the left leg of the R and the top of Ike's head (as we look at an Ike) corresponds to a kind of narrow elevated plateau on the obverse die (think elevated highway), this topography on the die would make it vulnerable to heat checks (small die cracks) during the dies multiple annealings during its hubbing. Suck heat checks would require grinding away for the die to last in service. Such abrading could easily produce a peg leg.

Thus I've been looking for a Denver peg leg with no signs of clash. So far no luck but I bet they're out there. Could your's be one such
?
Rob

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 am

Very nice find. Congratulations!

Rob, I will check all my peglegs this weekend to see if any match your criteria.

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:47 am

Interesting theory!......I do recall seeing "die crack in hair under R" used on more than one occasion, as a marker to identify certain varieties. The 72-S DDO-001 comes to mind.

Happy Hunting!
Brian