1977-D Peg Leg, Short E, No Eye, goatee - Lot going on

DaveWantuck

Re: 1977-D Peg Leg, Short E, No Eye, goatee - Lot going on

Post by DaveWantuck » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Hey WindyCity...
Thats some NICE photos of that Ike....feel as though I can reach out and touch that coin....awsome ;) ....thanks for sharing...
Dave
"Life isn't about waiting for the
storm to pass...it's about learning
to dance in the rain"

1872Hokie

Post by 1872Hokie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:31 am

Variety hunting at it's finest. Lots going on, and the majority of the interesting features are easily visable to the naked eye.
Thanks for sharing!
Back to the Hunt...
-Bryan

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:10 am

I have a few of these with less of a chip under the lip and a chip at the front of the chin.

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:55 am

Blackhawk,
Could you post photos of the various coins' R? It may be helpful in our understanding of this coin if we could see the state of development of the peg leg, given the lesser "other markers".
Steve Palladino

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:10 am

Sure thing. I'll try to get some photos posted here tonight.

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:08 pm

I just dug these out of storage where they've been since I got them about five years ago. There are 11 coins that might qualify as a pegleg...at any rate the dies have been polished to the point where the serifs on the bottom of the R are barely there. As the first photo shows, I've divided these into two groups; the six coins in the lower group all plainly exhibit the witch wart die chip on Ikes chin, the five coins in the top group of five must have been struck a bit earlier and all have a small protrusion on the front of the chin at the sight of the larger chip that is seen on the other coins. All these coins have something going on beneath Ikes lip, although the protrusion is very small - all also have a die scratch or die crack slightly off and below the lip. My apologies for the photo quality, the close-ups were taken through my microscope.

The following photo is the obverse of one of the coins with the prominent chin wart.

Here's a close-up of the R on one of the chin wart Ikes.

Here's a close-up of the clipped E.

A close-up of the chin area showing the small protrusion under the lip, the die scratch/crack slightly away from that lip protrusion, and the "witch wart" die chip on the chin.

A close-up of the chin on one of the coins where the die chip on the chin has not yet grown.

The eye area on one of the coins.

While these coin may not have come from the same die as the 1977-D Ikes with the goatee or "soul patch" die chip, they do exhibit a smaller upset in the same area along with that die crack or scratch slightly farther away from the lip.

If anyone has any questions or a need for additional photos let me know and I'll do my best to get you the information.

Bill

ilikeikes

Post by ilikeikes » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:58 am

Here's mine..roughed up...BUT..my "Goatee" is in it's infancy, not sure if a true die crack, although, mine does show a thin line there forming......my theory? A newbie die polisher who just dug in a little deep under the lip...tried to fix his work, and made things worse--a gouge that filled in with "shift luster", then, started to crack.... Fun to see twins on here..earlier die stage than first shown by blackhawk...looks like both are slightly off center strikes..mine has the lopsided W also, E not as chopped, serif R not as straight, with flares.
Attachments
77dpegleggoatee6.jpg
77dpegleggoatee5.jpg
77dpegleggoatee4.jpg
77dpegleggoatee3.jpg
77dpegleggoatee2.jpg
77dpegleggoatee1.jpg
77dpegleggoateeobverse_opt.jpg
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain