mint error...die adjustment strike...found 2 coins faded

ernestolizano

mint error...die adjustment strike...found 2 coins faded

Post by ernestolizano » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:03 am

I bought $127.00 Ike coins because I'm showing my nephew about coin collecting , later I was searching about key dates and errors , I was just thinking why are those to worn?,later I found on Ebay the same fading on another two coins....tag price 18 hundred each...Did luck smiled at me ?
Can you please tell me a little bit more info on those 3 coins.....Thank you so much for let me share those coins with you.
ernie.
Attachments
IMG_2626.JPG

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Re: mint error...die adjustment strike...found 2 coins faded

Post by BrianVaile » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:17 am

Hi Ernie,
Welcome to the error section of IkeLand. Really need to see both sides, but from what you have posted...Of the 3 you posted, I think the first one shows the most promise. It just depends on if the reverse looks pretty much the same. Even if it does look the same, it could just be a really worn out Ike like this one in G6 condition.
TrueView_82444051_Large.jpg
I would say the 2nd one looks more like struck through grease obverse and the 3rd just being worn.

One of the main things to look for in the die adjustment strikes is the reeding on the edge. If the reeding is very weak, then there is a good chance it could be a die adjustment strike. If the reeding is normal, then it is more than likely something else. If it has week reeding, and is a die adjustment strike, it could very well be worth sending in to get authenticated by a TPG. PCGS is the most respected, but NGC is a lot more cost-friendly in the error category.

If you still have doubts and want to be sure before spending a bunch of money to get them authenticated, I strongly recommend going to a big coin show and finding an error dealer like Weinberg or Rich and ask them their opinion.

I personally. wouldn't shell out a bunch of money for an Ike Die Adjustment Strike unless it is already in either a PCGS of an NGC holder and designated as such. There are just too many ways it could look LIKE a DAS, but still have normal reeding.

Happy Hunting!~
Brian

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:52 pm

What he said ^

Also, welcome here! And finally, thank you for teaching your nephew about coin collecting, and using Ikes to do so!
Steve Palladino

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:02 am

What I would consider the one with the highest probability is the 72-D because it has by far the weakest reeding.
However....Something just look "off" about it... :shock: It could be because it IS intact, a DAS. Or it could be a DAS struck on a Type 1 planchet (which I don't ever remember seeing such a designation on an Ike), or it could have been purposely made to look like it has the DAS-associated weak reeding? With no upset, Type 2 rim visible, I'd probably also weigh it well.

I learned a long time ago, if it looks a little "off", even if you can't quite put your finger on it, there is usually a good reason for it and it's more ofen than not, an actual mint-produced error. And...If it looks like a "significant error" and it isn't already in a respectable TPG holder, then there is probably a good reason for it! I learned those lessons the "hard way", as part of that dang "learning curve". :cry:

Best-case scenario: It's a legit DAS Struck on a Type 1 Planchet and be a good Heritage FUN auction candidate.
Mid-Case scenario: It's a legit "pocket piece and is just worn away from many years of "thumbing".
Worst-case scenario: It's been altered or "tumbled" to look like a DAS.

Happy Hunting!
Brian