1973-S Eisenhower on clad opened from brown box

nwobhm

1973-S Eisenhower on clad opened from brown box

Post by nwobhm » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:11 pm

I recently bought about a dozen brown box 73 & 74 silver proofs. Upon breaking them out of their packaging I discovered one of the 73's is actually on a clad planchet. The clad planchet is odd in that about 75% has the typical copper line. The other 25% is all silver in color. The coin weighs 22.3 or 22.5 using 2 different scales.

Does any of this make sense?
Is this just a clad that was incorrectly packaged in a proof holder?
Why the 25% no copper edge?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx
Attachments
IMG_0508.JPG

nwobhm

Re: 1973-S Eisenhower on clad opened from brown box

Post by nwobhm » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:14 pm

More
Attachments
IMG_0509.JPG

nwobhm

Post by nwobhm » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Last
Attachments
IMG_0510.JPG

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Weight is correct for a Clad proof. I have found a 73-S Clad in a brown box before, but upon closer inspections, it appeared the holder had been opened and carefully glued back together. I'm guessing a switch was made for the interest of turning a $5 coin into one worth $25-$30.
Did you get a chance to inspect the plastic holder?

Not sure about the coloring on the side.....

Happy Hunting!
Brian

nwobhm

Post by nwobhm » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:47 pm

The holder looked fine, broke open like the others. The seller is willing to refund me so I'm good as to the $. I want to be certain I'm not returning something I should be saving, off metal planchet etc.

AndyO
Site Admin

Post by AndyO » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Nope, nothing worth while here. This is actually not that uncommon. Probably switched by whomever sold it to your seller - or earlier.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

nwobhm

Post by nwobhm » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Very much appreciate the help. Thanks

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:36 pm

nwobhm wrote:The holder looked fine, broke open like the others. The seller is willing to refund me so I'm good as to the $. I want to be certain I'm not returning something I should be saving, off metal planchet etc.
Well, since a proof on a CnCLad Planchet for 1973 was produced for the standard US Proof Sets, it would be pointless to refer to the coin as an "off-metal" coin as they are available in any 1973 Proof Set.

As for your particular coin, if the seller will take it back after you've already destroyed the holder it was in, then go for it. You see, most sellers will not even consider returns once the OGP has been damaged or opened by the buyer. It's just too easy to slip a 73-S CnClad Proof on there for the return.

1973 had some interesting errors and at least one true off-metal strike. Specifically, the CnClad Planchets used for the 1973-S 40% Silver Business strikes. There are at least 3 out there. Possibly more.
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

nwobhm

Post by nwobhm » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:11 pm

19Lyds wrote:
nwobhm wrote:The holder looked fine, broke open like the others. The seller is willing to refund me so I'm good as to the $. I want to be certain I'm not returning something I should be saving, off metal planchet etc.
Well, since a proof on a CnCLad Planchet for 1973 was produced for the standard US Proof Sets, it would be pointless to refer to the coin as an "off-metal" coin as they are available in any 1973 Proof Set.

As for your particular coin, if the seller will take it back after you've already destroyed the holder it was in, then go for it. You see, most sellers will not even consider returns once the OGP has been damaged or opened by the buyer. It's just too easy to slip a 73-S CnClad Proof on there for the return.

1973 had some interesting errors and at least one true off-metal strike. Specifically, the CnClad Planchets used for the 1973-S 40% Silver Business strikes. There are at least 3 out there. Possibly more.
My thought was if a different set of dies were used on 40% vs clad it could possibly be the wrong planchet. If the same dies were used for both it's pointless.

As for the return, I buy a good bit from this dealer and this particular piece was discussed prior to purchase....specifically that it may possibly be a clad. He's an honest seller.

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:10 pm

My thought was if a different set of dies were used on 40% vs clad it could possibly be the wrong planchet. If the same dies were used for both it's pointless.
Many moons ago, I helped prove (with the help of Wexler, that the same dies were used in striking a 74-S Silver Proof Ike (the "Micro S") as well a Proof Clad version.

Now, we are in the midst of proving that the mint even used the same dies to strike a 40% Silver Proof Ike as well as the 40% Silver Business Strikes.

Happy Hunting!
Brian