Things aren't always as they appear!

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Things aren't always as they appear!

Post by BrianVaile » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:35 am

When looking for variety Ikes on the internet, I guess it should go without saying...Buyer beware!
Even those of us that have been doing it for a long time, looking for the right "markers" of
the scarcer varieties get burned on a regular basis. Most of this can probably be attributed
to bad lighting or pics that aren't all that sharp.

Another possibility is photo-shopping or altering a picture to make it LOOK like a
scarce variety, when it is not. While I don't really think a lot of this is going on...It does
remain a possibility to be aware of. I have had a run of bad luck lately and have come
to the conclusion that, NOTHING beats having the coin in hand and checking it out with
a glass or loop! I have to start getting out more and hitting B&M's!

Happy Hunting!
Brian

robEzerman

Re: Things aren't always as they appear!

Post by robEzerman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:07 pm

It's so true that one can NOT "trust" ebay photos, or Heritage or TT for that matter. One needs to remain skeptical.

Some ebay sellers are adept at using a point source of light 6-10 feet removed. The effect is the same jewelry stores use in their lighting, tiny spots in the ceiling: everything looks good, LOL! Add to this the ease with which one can slightly angle a coin or change the angle of the lighting to hide hits and it's not rocket science to take a photo that bears little resemblence to the coin.

At Heritage, TT and other larger coin venues, the problem is the opposite: they employ their set system that can hide some details and bring out others.

One can not grade a coin or know much about its potential flaws without "wobbling" that coin in hand under a grading lamp. Period. If one sticks to coins one can return for refund, there is some assurance that you will not be stuck with an over-described coin whose photo did not show significant defects.

Now, knowing this, an ethical problem raises its head when trying to cherry Ike Varieties. Say I see an Ike I know will sell around $25 that looks as if it could be a $200 Variety (say, Brian's example of an MS65 71-S SB Ike with a photo that makes it look like a Straight Peg Leg, potentially a $1,000 Ike). I think to myself, I better nuke this puppy as I bet some other Ike guys may see what I'm seeing. Sure enough, three of us wind up raising my winning bid to $100. The seller probably is wondering what's going on, OR, he knows exactly what's happening because he took the picture that made the listed Ike look like a valuable Peg Leg.

I pay the $100 and a week later receive a perfectly decent MS65 71-S SB Ike but a PEG LEG IT AIN"T, (&*^*^%$^%#$&*^^(*&!!!!!!

Do I return the coin for a refund or do I suck up the loss as a losing gamble?

For me, it would depend on a careful check of the seller's pictures to see if there is any indication of purposeful photo-manipulation: if I decide there was, back it goes. Otherwise I eat the loss and hope for better luck next time.

The more you know about how to photograph a coin, the better you can judge a seller's photos. I'll be posting an article on coin photography shortly.

Here are five pictures: the top two are the same AU58 Ike, the bottom three are the same MS65 Ike, both PCGS graded. Note that the first of three has a lop-sided "T" of LIBERTY? Lighting playing tricks.

And notice that the largest lighting-improvement is on the lower grade Ike? If a given Ike is relatively free of nasty hits and rubs and dings, changing lighting will mostly change the sense of luster, toning, color.

Don't forget to click on the photos! Rob
Attachments
DSC_0495-1.JPG
DSC_0496-1.JPG
DSC_0499-1.JPG
DSC_0498-1.JPG
DSC_0497-1.JPG
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:54 pm

Rob,
Very nice summation and pics to illustrate your point!

Brian

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:15 pm

Funny thing I didn't have to even try hard, just used the ceiling light (a pot lamp 8' high) and it just melted away most of the crap. Oops, ugliness, LOL! Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

Domain555

Post by Domain555 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:55 pm

BrianVaile wrote:When looking for variety Ikes on the internet, I guess it should go without saying...Buyer beware!
Even those of us that have been doing it for a long time, looking for the right "markers" of
the scarcer varieties get burned on a regular basis. Most of this can probably be attributed
to bad lighting or pics that aren't all that sharp.

Another possibility is photo-shopping or altering a picture to make it LOOK like a
scarce variety, when it is not. While I don't really think a lot of this is going on...It does
remain a possibility to be aware of. I have had a run of bad luck lately and have come
to the conclusion that, NOTHING beats having the coin in hand and checking it out with
a glass or loop! I have to start getting out more and hitting B&M's!

Happy Hunting!
Brian
-----------------------

I'm new here

Can not believe my eyes.

Domain555