1974-D Ike Dollar - Known Variation?

Post pictures, comments and questions on ODV
Tokyo Tammy Lynn

1974-D Ike Dollar - Known Variation?

Post by Tokyo Tammy Lynn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:24 am

Thanks so much for allowing me to join the forum. I'm a Newbie... and here to learn from y'all.

I have looked on every site I have been able to find about Ike variations. The only difference I've seen is that there is a 1974 and 1974-D and some have been struck on 40% Silver. However, I haven't been able to find anything on the difference in the font used for the date, specifically noticing the 7 and 4... or on the difference in the appearance of the inside of the ear as well as the ear lobe.

Can anyone point me to info on these differences?
Attachments
Ear #2.jpg
Angled ear lobe, heart shape inside
Ear #1.jpg
Round ear lobe, no heart shape inside
74 #2.jpg
Wide 7, angled end on 4 and ser
74 #1.jpg
Thin 7, straight end on 4 and no ser
20180129_Both-1974-D-Ikes.jpg
Ears and date font different, and R peg vs no peg

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: 1974-D Ike Dollar - Known Variation?

Post by AndyO » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:04 pm

You'll absolutely see differences like that due to a mixture of variables all happening at the same time, like die state, die polish, die repair, etc.

Were the coins stuck with the same exact pressure, how much lubricant was in the die, were the planchets annealed to the same hardness, were they stuck off different presses, etc.

All of this is in play for every single coin struck. In 1970's technology and quality control, a coin struck in March could be vastly different from a coin struck from the very same die set in October in terms of cosmetics and micro-geometry - but still be well within acceptable limits. In fact, I'd be surprised if the Mint even had cosmetic acceptance standards in place other than blatantly obvious issues, like major struck through grease or clipped planchet issues.

There is no difference in font, except that things wear and get "repaired" throughout the whole master hubbing, master die, working hubs, and working dies creation process. When I say repair, I'm talking on a very small scale.

Wait until you discover the 71S proofs with the many ranges of serif and non-serif R's in LIBERTY.....

Thanks for joining, not a lot of action here anymore, but we all check and will gladly help if asked.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer