The "Talon Head"

Post pictures, comments and questions on ODV
Apollo

The "Talon Head"

Post by Apollo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi Guys!

I noticed that there is very little information on the website about the "Talon Head" variety, and it does not appear under your "Varieties" drop-down section either.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: The "Talon Head"

Post by AndyO » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:22 pm

Well, we really don't consider them all out varieties/DIVas any more short of a couple real specific ones for 71S - and they probably need more study as well. While they are certainly a nice clash mark to search for, there's a large number of them out there. I'd say we capture them more as a marker on other more delineated varieties. In other words, we have no idea on potential rarity and therefore collectability on most of them. This is not to say that the day won't come when we would have them sorted out, but that literally would take months/years to capture them all in terms of die marriages, die stages, etc. It's a very common clash mark on the early years. Not a high target on the list.

Look for the uncommon ones: triple or quadruple or quintuple marks, a real heavy single, doubles that are spaced super-far apart, etc. I'd probably pass on say for example, a 72D with one faint mark - stuff like that.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

Apollo

Post by Apollo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:41 am

Thank you!

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:56 pm

AndyO wrote:Well, we really don't consider them all out varieties/DIVas any more short of a couple real specific ones for 71S - and they probably need more study as well. While they are certainly a nice clash mark to search for, there's a large number of them out there. I'd say we capture them more as a marker on other more delineated varieties. In other words, we have no idea on potential rarity and therefore collectability on most of them. This is not to say that the day won't come when we would have them sorted out, but that literally would take months/years to capture them all in terms of die marriages, die stages, etc. It's a very common clash mark on the early years. Not a high target on the list.

Look for the uncommon ones: triple or quadruple or quintuple marks, a real heavy single, doubles that are spaced super-far apart, etc. I'd probably pass on say for example, a 72D with one faint mark - stuff like that.
I agree with Andy.
Here's another way of looking at it: there are many double dies in the Ike series, but only a fraction of those are collectible and are/will be included in the DIVa catalogue. I just posted four DDO dies from 1971S SB DDO Family 3 that will in the DIVa catalogue - out of perhaps ten dies from this DDO Family.
So too, there are many examples of clashed die Ikes. Only a fraction will, after further study identifying dies and collectibility, be added to the DIVa catalogue. A single talon head is not going to cut it for some parts of the Ike series.
Steve Palladino