1976 Eisenhower Dollar Reverse Die Clash?

Post pictures, comments and questions on RDV
flyank

1976 Eisenhower Dollar Reverse Die Clash?

Post by flyank » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:28 am

Please take a close look between the left timber area and the bell. There is a very apparent sharply struck "hook" in that area. Thanks for all comments/opinions.
Attachments
A011 - 20151106_100012.jpg
A010 - 20151106_095940.jpg
A008 - 20151106_095931.jpg
A006 - 20151105_213218.jpg
A005 - 20151105_213101.jpg
A004 - 20151105_212933.jpg

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: 1976 Eisenhower Dollar Reverse Die Clash?

Post by AndyO » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Bicentennial clashes are actually not that totally uncommon. That is the area of the reverse that exhibits them the most. I think it might have been Brian who had a fantastic bicentennial clash a few years ago. It was a totally unabraded outline of Ike on the reverse around the left side of the bell yoke (the big wooden thing that the bell is strapped to).

This one looks untouched, as it probably wasn't readily noticed by the Mint employees in that area with other relief work present.

Good eye to catch it, many clash collectors overlook bicentennial Ikes.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

MichaelM

Post by MichaelM » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Hello guys,
I've been collecting Ike's for a few years and recently picked up Rob's book and kicked my game up a notch. I've been reading up a bit before posting and figured it was finally time to speak up.
I came across this same 1976-P clash in an E-Bay roll I picked up last week. The Ike is at least MS60, possibly as nice as as MS62. After comparing the clashed position to the corresponding obverse it seems to match up to the area around Ike's mid-neck area, so the usual alignment found in the established Ike clashes don't seem to apply here.
My question is:
1. What area on the obverse caused this clash?
2. How common is it?

I own 112 1976-P Ike's and this is the only example of this clash I've found.
Attachments
image.jpeg

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:12 pm

Here's a clashed 1976D T2
I also have one just like this - clean nose clash - on a 1976 T2 here
As you can see, the clashed coins that I have do not have the feature that is shown on the coins depicted earlier in this thread. The feature in the earlier coins does appear in the lips area. I just can't see exactly what would create the feature.
Steve Palladino

Irish2ice

Post by Irish2ice » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:57 pm

With that sharp of a "hook", it has the be the crook of the mouth or where the lips meet. Nothing else really makes sense if clash related.

I'm curious if any of the clashes posted have the E from WE showing. My most evident clashed have the E and the clearer the E, the better the overall clash.
Bob G.

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it." Dwight D. Eisenhower

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:28 pm

Irish2ice wrote:With that sharp of a "hook", it has the be the crook of the mouth or where the lips meet. Nothing else really makes sense if clash related.

I'm curious if any of the clashes posted have the E from WE showing. My most evident clashed have the E and the clearer the E, the better the overall clash.
I agree re: the source possibly being the spot where the lips meet.

I don't recall seeing the E on the two that I posted. However, both have some chin clash above the yoke on the reverse, and both have the bell clash on the obverse.
Steve Palladino

MichaelM

Post by MichaelM » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:00 pm

OK, so I wasn't totally convinced of a pair of lips for two reasons until I superimposed the inverse of the obverse against the Bicentenniel reverse. First, the incuse-relief had me stumped, but later made sense once I realized I was thinking 'planchet transfer' not 'die transfer'. The location also seemed slightly off but I didn't consider anvil die rotation.
So yeah, after a little experimentation using Microsoft Paint I does look like my Ike is an upper lip clash.
Thanks for the help guys!

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:21 pm

MichaelM wrote:So yeah, after a little experimentation using Microsoft Paint I does look like my Ike is an upper lip clash.
Can you post your work for us? I'd love to see it.
Steve Palladino

flyank

Post by flyank » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:10 am

Irish2ice wrote:With that sharp of a "hook", it has the be the crook of the mouth or where the lips meet. Nothing else really makes sense if clash related.

I just checked mine and mine does NOT show the E from WE as mentioned.

MichaelM

Post by MichaelM » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:56 pm

Sorry for the delay. So what I did was find a pair of 1976 Ike images on Google Images (obverse and reverse side within the same picture for exact scale). I saved them to my desktop, then opened them in Microsoft Paint, separated them, and then used the 'Flip Vertical/Flip horizontal' function on the obverse image to get an upside-down/mirror image. Then I resized both images to 150% to where each image just fit onto a standard 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper and printed them out. I then cut out both images out, put them together appropriately, and held them up to a bright light in order to see both images superimposed.

In the first image below I have lined up the "lip clash" positions perfectly with the lips on the obverse coin image. In order to match up the positions though the coins will not align perfectly from about 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock as what is generally found on non-Bicentennial clashed Ikes.

Out of curiosity I lined up the positions of Steve's nose clash example that he linked above and found that clash to be similarly misaligned from 11 o'clock to 2 o'clock, but to a lesser degree.

Thus die anvil rotation doesn't seem to be what's going on as I stated previously if I understand that process correctly. !?
Attachments
transposed 76obv2.jpg
76 obv trans.jpg
76 rev.jpg