CHECK OUT THE APRIL COIN OF THE MONTH

robEzerman

CHECK OUT THE APRIL COIN OF THE MONTH

Post by robEzerman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:29 am

"ttt" Just a plug to check out the April Coin of the Month, an FEV that John Roberts of ANACS attributed as a "Peg Leg"! We are making progress . . . Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Re: CHECK OUT THE APRIL COIN OF THE MONTH

Post by BrianVaile » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:13 pm

Excellent choice for a Coin Of The Month!! Of all the different FEV Varieties we have, I feel that the Peg Leg is probably rarer than any.
I have only come across (2) examples that I can remember, one of which was "cherried" off of an internet auction. There was an ANACS MS66
Peg Leg along with it, but I got beat-out on the bidding, as it went for over $750. :(
Glad to see that ANACS is taking a leap forward and actually attributing significant Ike Varieties. Ikes are a pretty popular series and I
feel that it is only a matter of time before significant varieties land in the CPG and are attributed by other major TPG's as well.

Happy Hunting!
Brian

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Brian, you are the spark plug of the Ike Group Varieties quest, you are the man! And how great it is we're still having fun. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:51 pm

There was a time back a year or so where if someone asked if that coin was a pegleg that all would most certainly say "not quite there".

Remember this one?

Where does the line get drawn for defining a pegleg?
I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Lee, logical question. I can push the answer a bit further now though still have nothing "clear-cut".

My bench mark at 7:05:56 PM 4/25/2010 is no die abrasion peg leg candidate can have more flair than the 71-S Proof un-polished SPL or the Bicentennial T1. Furthermore, as illustrated in both of your photos, if either lateral extension at the foot has a significantly decreasing-radius curve, it's not a peg leg. The model here is a well struck 71-S SB SPL with its "Redwood Tree" peg leg: it has gradually increasing breadth toward the foot end but there is nothing abrupt about the foot-end broadening, the "curvature" of sides of this peg leg toward the foot end does not show significant decreasing-radius curvature.

This is not a simple definition, but when the design Peg Legs have differences, ie, the silver 72-S Ikes have almost rectangular left legs except for the very foot end which bulges just a bit into higher relief and slightly to either side with a minimal roundness that becomes more prominent when doubled.

I would put up the FEV die-abrasion peg leg as the most extreme the broadening can be at the foot and still be a peg leg, but I have that oar in the water and just maybe could be a wee bit biased :roll: .

The Design Eskimo-Boot 74-S Peg Leg is unique, fortunately, though I still contend one can use its outline to determine when a die-abrasion 73-74-77-78 proof peg leg qualifies: the criterion is the candidate peg leg must be contained in a superimposed eskimo boot outline and have no sharp out-croppings, however tiny.

Certainly worth more discussion and I can see the attractiveness of defining peg leg as rectangular or eskimo-boot, period, just don't think that's fair or realistic.

Rob

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:28 pm

Well now I'm really confused because the top photo I posted was copied from the PegLeg RDV-006 Coin if the Month Article.

I cannot and will not be held responsible for my typing errors as it appears that there is a bug in the keyboard!
........I've tried on numberous occasions to fix the problme but it just keeps coming back agin and again! -L. Lydston 2008

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 pm

OOPS. . . Answered too hastily, good one, Lee. Adjust my answer slightly, make necessary corrections, do you think it's heading in the right direction? Rob

19Lyds

Post by 19Lyds » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:39 pm

If in the right direction you mean relaxing the definition of a Die Abraded PegLeg to match what appears on the Design Variety PegLeg, then no.

I think John was incorrect in this attribution.

Yes, there is die abrasion but the leg is not quite there yet and to call it a pegleg will add a lot of confusion to would be IKE Variety collectors. Especially when they ask if their "not quite there" 1972-D's, 1974-D's, 1977-D's, or 1978-D's are peglegs and the answer comes up no.

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:50 pm

"If in the right direction you mean relaxing the definition of a Die Abraded PegLeg to match what appears on the Design Variety PegLeg, then no.

Lee, this is exactly the question at hand so I'll ask you "Why not?"

Wiles and Wexler both named the 71-S Design Peg Leg proof a peg leg and the original design of that critter is not a peg leg in your terms. Neither are the 72-S Design Peg Legs nor the T1 Bicentennial Design Peg Legs, they all have flair at the foot end.

So I ask you why not extend to the die abrasion peg legs the same "latitude" given the Design Peg Legs by all the Ike experts? Why not have one definition of peg leg for both Design and die abrasion peg legs? What would be more confusing to the average collector, two separate definitions or one?

I grant you we would have to come up with language that would set the limits for the die abrasion peg legs but here the concept of Serifs = lateral projections would help as would tolerance for the "Redwood Tree" shape. Certainly John's point of greater separation of foot from hair for die abrasion peg legs would have to be included.

Might it make sense to have a superlative for the "true" (rectangular or genuine peg shaped) peg leg, like "True"? Rob
Attachments
Figure8dieabrasionona72Dpeglegarrowsmarkcurvedfieldcopy.jpg
DIE ABRASION "TRUE" PEG LEG, PHOTO TAKEN TILTED TO SHOW FIELD BEND
DSCN5007.JPG
DOES THIS SET YOUR TEETH ON EDGE? IT'S A GOOD EXAMPLE OF THE 74-D "MAJOR PEG LEG" AND ILLUSTRATES THE "REDWOOD TREE" CONFIGURATION
DSCN0579.JPG
71-S SP DESIGN PEG LEG
DSCN0580.JPG
1972-S DESIGN PEG LEG (SB IKE)
DSCN0581.JPG
76 BICENTENNIAL T1 DESIGN PEG LEG
DSCN4928.JPG
WILES' 1971-S SB "FULL PEG LEG", THE IKE GROUP'S "STRAIGHT PEG LEG"