Web Site Short Article on the FEV

robEzerman

Re: Web Site Short Article on the FEV

Post by robEzerman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:52 am

Ken, sorry for this late response.

The DDO FEV is the same as the common 71-D DDO-001.

The majority of DDO FEV's also carry a DDR that looks very much like the DDR of the 71-S SB SPL, ie, almost naked-eye doubling on the ends of both feet of the L's of DOLLAR. A loupe and good light bring out other doubling, best seen in AMERICA and some of the stars.

There are two other FEV DDO's (which are not coupled with a DDR): their doubling is also strongest in the motto but clearly different.

With close to a thousand FEV's cherried among the IKE GROUP members, we have well under 5% DDO's. Lee Lydston has DD's on 6% of his cherries, the highest percentage to date with enough cherried for numeric significance.

What's so very strange is the small percentage of FEV DD's when there are four (even five) distinct different DDO's and obverse-reverse combinations. Unless someone discovers thousands of bags of FEV's sequestered in some bank vault (very unlikely!), the mintage is clearly under 500K and probably, like the T2, around 250 K all total. That would require only a handful of obverse and reverse dies as the Mint was getting 115K per die and you know the FEV dies were pushed hard with so many showing in VLDS! The math just does not compute. Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

DaveWantuck

Post by DaveWantuck » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:33 pm

[quote="BrianVaile"]While my latest FEV grades from NCS/NGC might not have been that great....
1 X MS63
5 X MS64
2 X MS65
I was very pleased to find that 6 of the 8 had REV's (Re-Entry Vehicles)! :mrgreen:
Below are a couple of pics of a MS64 from this batch.

The REV is one of Gasparo's minute details on the FEV that is found nowhere else in the Ike series. It was probably discontinued because it gets washed out fairly early in the life of the die. To find an FEV is nice,...to find an FEV that was struck early enough to show the REV is EXTRA nice! :D

Hey Brian,
I 'finally' found a FEV today....I probably have more 71D's than any other Ike, and couldn't understand why I haven't found a FEV until now....whew!!! ;) It is indeed very nice to find a FEV, but the one I found today also has the REV , and that is for sure EXTRA nice....I still have more Ikes to go through, but this sure got my juices flowing....as Rob says, they're out there, all you h ave to do is l :D :D k....Dave
"Life isn't about waiting for the
storm to pass...it's about learning
to dance in the rain"

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Dave, great cherry!

May we all be inspired to keep on searching. . . Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

rjp

Post by rjp » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 am

Nice Finds. I will have to keep looking, maybe I will soon find FEV or DDO. :P
:P
Bob
PCGS Rattlers, OGH; Ikes
ANACS Photo Certs;
Sample Slabs;
old TPG Slabs, Ikes, I collect the plastic!

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:10 am

rjp, thanks for bringing back an old topic! All of our thinking about the timing and origins of the FEV are conjecture, but based on a pretty solid tapistry of multiple threads. For example, I spoke at length with the die setter who worked on the Denver Mint's basement coin presses, a grouping of 7 or 8 big old "hand-fed" machines (hand-fed meaning the planchets were dumped by the bucket load by hand into each machine's hopper). These presses had been reserved for gold medal production but were "pressed" into service to begin Ike dollar production in early July while the big "Columbia" presses upstairs were being converted to stamping out Ikes. Mike Lantz told me that the die setters didn't bother checking the design of the dies they installed, they just pulled the dies from the wooden boxes in which the Philly Mint shipped them to Denver and installed them in the presses.

I guess the die setters were not numismatists but if I'm correct, the FEV reverse would have been the first Ike reverse any of them handled so it would not have looked "different". After a week to 10 days, the Ike operation was moved upstairs, and with the focus on solving a raft of minting challenges posed by adopting the Columbia presses to the large, hard, Ike clad planchets, it's not surprising the somewhat different reverse design was not picked up. Heck, numismatists didn't pick up the FEV reverse for a couple of decades.

An obverse clue for FEV's (TYPE 1 71-D's) is the "wreath-like" (wave-like) distortion in the field of later die states (last 80% of a given die's production). Also, FEV's, much more than common (TYPE 2) 71-D's have what looks like corrosion (black and/or dark green spotting and splashes) but under a 'scope, this is not corrosion but seems to be 'mint goop" residue, possibly from excess lubrication applied to the planchets to improve die life. Rob