Web Site Short Article on the FEV

Sumdunce

Re: Web Site Short Article on the FEV

Post by Sumdunce » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:48 pm

I finally found one in BU condition (MS63 approx until I get better light).

I paid a whopping $2.90 + Ohio sales tax for this one. :D

I can't wait to get it into better light when I get back.

S
Eschew obfuscation!

Sumdunce

Post by Sumdunce » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:20 pm

No DDO or DDR in the three FEVs that just came back today.

None are on a proof planchet and all are LDS.

The one that I thought would go MS63 came back as a AU58. Now that I can handle it without fear of hurting it I would agree since there are minor rubs in forhead and hair. The scratches that I thought would get it bodybagged were either not noticed or not bad enough to stop it from slabbing.

The other two that I thought were MS64 and MS63 (hoping I was low) came back as MS64 and MS63 respectively.

The other one in my renewal freebie submission was a 1956 proof dime that came back MS67CAM. Really thought this one would be at least MS68DCAM but the back was not frosty or strong enough I guess.

There is still one more FEV in an ANACS submission but I am thinking that one will be low AU or XF (expecting XF).

V/R

LaMont
Eschew obfuscation!

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:40 am

I just got an FEV back from NCS/NGC..was hoping 65 or better (to justify the $32.50 + shipping expense).
What the heck...just round off to $35 for each coin sent to NCS/NGC. :(
It came back a 65 and looks pretty good. However, it is way to LDS (Late Die State) to show
the REV (Re-Entry Vehicle).
These FEV's can come with a lot of "problems" that I can't correct with MS70 or acetone. Thus, I use
NCS with a fairly good success rate.
Still have (8) FEV's at NCS....I'll post results when they come in.

Brian

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:13 am

Now if we can get NGC to attribute FEV. . .

Brian, any possibility down the line of before and after pictures? Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:13 pm

Hey Rob,
I didn't have that "idea" in my head yet.....but I will do before and after (NCS/NGC) shots from now on and
post them to the thread that I started with that title. ;)

At $35 a pop, they better dang well have a great shot at a 65! :shock: The batch of (8) FEV's I have in
now are going to cost me just over $250! :evil:

If you want to TRY and cross it to PCGS,...then you're up to $50 each! :o
It will be the occasional 66 that would make it more worthwhile. Of course, it will cost you another
$20 for PCGS to designate it (if & when they get real), so then you'd up to $70 for an NCS/PCGS designated
FEV. :shock:

Brian

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:07 pm

With the higher PCGS fees for Variety attribution, I'm thinking now of working with ANACS to attribute Ikes where the grade is not the primary issue.

I sent in 5 TIGER CLAW 71-D's to ANACS for attribution this week, and it cost $10 each for modern coin, $10 each for "Research Attribution" (it's $5 if you can name the Variety and provide an accepted source which is why I think ANACS will attribute the Partial Peg Leg Ike and Lee's 74-S Proof Ike with the "S" Mintmark that exactly replicates Wexler's photos) and $20 for return shipping @ $1,000 value.

If PCGS were attributing TIGER CLAW Variety (don't pass out from laughing so hard) it would cost more than twice the $120 I paid ANACS.

It may be time to see if ANACS will attribute the specific Ike die-clash images using the IKE GROUP web site and other publications as "sources", watcha think??? Of course, not doing anything unless the five TC's come back in TC-tagged holders. I'm thinking of a sub of 8 clashed Ikes each of which shows one of the eight clash images clearly, requesting our name for each of them, including "Die State peg leg" instead of "Peg Leg".

Rob
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

BrianVaile
Global Moderater

Post by BrianVaile » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:30 am

While my latest FEV grades from NCS/NGC might not have been that great....
1 X MS63
5 X MS64
2 X MS65
I was very pleased to find that 6 of the 8 had REV's (Re-Entry Vehicles)! :mrgreen:
Below are a couple of pics of a MS64 from this batch.

The REV is one of Gasparo's minute details on the FEV that is found nowhere else in the Ike series. It was probably discontinued because it gets washed out fairly early in the life of the die. To find an FEV is nice,...to find an FEV that was struck early enough to show the REV is EXTRA nice! :D

Sorry about the lousy scans...maybe Rob can post a clearer one? :roll:

Happy Hunting!
Brian

robEzerman

Post by robEzerman » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:57 pm

Ken, you're on the ball! I've found 5 different mint mark placements and three different obverse DD's. The DDR appears to be the same as seen on the back of the 71-S SB Straight Peg Leg, with easy-loupe doubling on the ends of the feet of the two LL's and the "C".

You may have been lucky to have two FEV DDO's as we have found only about 2 to 5% fev DD'S all total, most being the DDO/DDR (big DDO, probably DDO-001, and Wiles has a very similar if not identical DDR listed as a working hub DDR but that would not explain its presence on the FEV, LOL!).

It's possible that so many FEV's have very tired dies that a good number of DD's have been missed but I don't think so. I check every FEV that comes my way, so far well over 100, most circulated or low-grade MS of which 2-3% are DD's.

This small percentage is one of the FEV mysteries as we project the mintage to be around 250,000 +/- a factor of 2, so the total number of dies should be well under 10 O and 10 R and with three different DDO's accounting for just 2 to 5% of the FEV's, well, the math just doesn't make sense! Rob

Oftenwrong

Post by Oftenwrong » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 am

I think I found 2 circulated FEV’s this weekend
Attachments
FEV2.jpg
FEV1.jpg

BillSanders

Post by BillSanders » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:23 am

Yes, they look like FEV's to me. Nice Finds.
Bill