Two quite different 71-S SB FPL DDO's

71-S SB Fading and Straight Peg Legs
robEzerman

Two quite different 71-S SB FPL DDO's

Post by robEzerman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:17 am

The pictures tell this part of the story. There is a third obverse die not pictured which has such trivial doubling it is hard to find with a microscope. Take my word that the doubling on the less-doubled of this pair is still quite obvious under a microscope. The strongly doubled FPL is a loupe pick-up.

The difference in the S MM placement is also pretty clear on these two obverse dies. The photos are at the same mag, no change in focus or camera setting so the two images are quite comparable. The difference betweeh the less-doubled and the hardly-doubled S MM placement is real but one has to measure carefully to bring it out (again, not pictured here).

The two non-S images are the "U" of "TRUST". Note the stronger doubled U has a clean right-upper notch that continues into a "high line" down that right member. A high line in a clear-cut example like this is the demarkation of the meeting of the two superimposed images.

Interesting that the S further away from the bust has some die abrasions in the vicinity. I could find no obverse clash images, there are no abrasions elsewhere and the reverse is mis-matched and clean. Guess this die had a minor die clash. May help us down the line. Rob
Attachments
DSCN8002-1.JPG
DSCN8001.JPG
DSCN8000.JPG
DSCN7999.JPG
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

robEzerman

Re: Two quite different 71-S SB FPL DDO's

Post by robEzerman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Went back over the 13 71-S SB FPL's I have on hand to see if I'd learned anything in the year and a half since the original post.

Guess the answer is not much, LOL, but I have a few more photos to share of the more strongly doubled FPL, five of my thirteen.

(Next up is a go at the reverses of these 13 FPL's, they defeated me last night: I was tired but every one shared the doubling in the last photos, I think. . .)

The photos below show the strong obverse doubling on five of my thirteen FPL's, doubling throughout the Motto, and LIB. Even without the FPL feature, this DDO I think would make our TOP 25 list and certainly a TOP 50 list.

I've thrown in a photo of the Eagle's head and a couple of th Earth as I want to see what they look like blown up. EDITED - Nice doubling: I was surprised with the doubling of FG, was not that obvious to me in my scope and I guess that is just another example of being able to see something when one knows what to look for! Rob
Attachments
DSCN0149.JPG
THIS "DAGGER" NOTCH IN THE I OF IN IS A STRONG MARKER IF IT CATCHES THE LIGHT, VERY DRAMATIC, BUT IT CAN BE SHY AND HARD TO SEE UNLESS THE LIGHT GRABS IT JUST RIGHT.
DSCN0143.JPG
DSCN0153.JPG
THE REPETITIVE PATTERN OF NOTCHING IS ITS OWN "MARKER" FOR THIS DDO
DSCN0154.JPG
NICE "HIGH LINE"
DSCN0160.JPG
DOUBLED "FG" - DOUBLING IS MORE OBVIOUS IN THIS PHOTO THAN IT WAS WITH LOUPE AND EVEN USING A MICROSCOPE
DSCN0169.JPG
DSCN0165.JPG
DSCN0159.JPG
DSCN0156.JPG
DSCN0166.JPG
DSCN0162.JPG
Now is the time to cherry Ikes. Lots of fruit still on the trees but don't wait too long. Rob Ezerman

shasta7

Re: Two quite different 71-S SB FPL DDO's

Post by shasta7 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks Rob... now I have to go dig out all my 71-S Silver Business Strikes... lol

Great pictures... :-)

Terry

Return to “1971-S silver business strike (SB) obverse design variety peg-legs”