Proof Ikes with peg legs

Comments on the 1971-S straight peg-leg & 1974-S Eskimo boot peg-leg
DaveWantuck

Proof Ikes with peg legs

Post by DaveWantuck » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi troops...
I have a question about Proof Ikes, well, Proof Ikes with peg legs. I have read the 12 questions (cheat sheet) for peg legs, and it seems the more I read, the more confused :? I get..I have some 71S Proofs with peg legs and some 71S Proofs WITHOUT peg legs. All my 72S Proofs are design variety peg legs. I try to buy the nicest coins I can find regardless if they are peg legs or not, but can anyone tell me if there is a particular Proof Ike that I should be hunting for(beside the 74S Eskimo Boot) ...I'm collecting just for my own satisfaction...but, I suppose if I would find something interesting, I might sell it/them. This collecting stuff gets a bit confusing sometimes :roll:
Dave
"Life isn't about waiting for the
storm to pass...it's about learning
to dance in the rain"

SteveP
Global Moderater

Re: Proof Ikes with peg legs

Post by SteveP » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 am

71S SP had ODVs with either a serifed R or a design peg leg R - common
72S SP exclusively used an ODV with a design peg leg R - common
76S SP exclusively used an ODV with a design peg leg R - common
76S T1 CP exclusively used an ODV with a design peg leg R - common

73S SP&CP, 74S SP&CP, 76S T2 CP, 77S CP, and 78S CP all used an ODV which had a R with a serif.

While the design peg legs would have a place in any complete peg leg Ike collection, proof peg legs to look for to add to your collection would include:
1) any of the 1st 4 listed that demonstrate additional foreshortening of the leg of the R due to die polish treatments
2) the debated 74S CP&SP design peg legs?
3) any of the serifed R proofs listed above that have been modified via die polish treatments to end up with a peg leg. Of those listed, peg legs involving the 73S SP (http://forum2.ikegroup.info/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=79), 74S CP, and 74S SP (http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase.aspx?sc=1594) have been identified - to my knowledge. If you find a 76S T2 CP, 77S CP, or 78S CP ....that will be something that I'd love to see pictures of here.
Steve Palladino

DaveWantuck

Re: Proof Ikes with peg legs

Post by DaveWantuck » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks Steve...I'll put that info into my memory bank (matter of fact, I think I'll write it down,,,,,can't trust my memory anymore) :lol:
Dave
"Life isn't about waiting for the
storm to pass...it's about learning
to dance in the rain"