1972-S Design Peg Leg High Relief MDD & DDO

K&I MAN

1972-S Design Peg Leg High Relief MDD & DDO

Post by K&I MAN » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi All
Yesterday (July 13, 2012) I bought some bulk coins from a worker who had cleaned out an abandoned home and found them stashed in the attic. Among the coins were some Silver Blue and Brown Ikes.

After examing them, I came across a 1972-S Blue Ike that appears to be identical to the one on pages 33-34 of the Collectible Ike Varieties book, Pictures 6 & 7. It is labeled as a Design Peg Leg High Relief MDD & DDO.

Having been an error collector for some time now and having given talks to my coin club on the difference between mechanical doubling and true hub doubling, I am aware of the fine differences between them.

At first the doubling appeared to me to be simple mechanical/ejection doubling...flat, shelf like surfaces. Upon further inspection I noticed notches on some of the letters as well as the Peg Leg feature as shown in the picture.

The coin itself stood out from the rest of the Blue Ikes in that its luster and strike were stunning and bold.

I've attached some photos for comments.

I'm not saying this IS the coin; I'm asking for help in determining if it is; and if it isn't, what is it?

Thanks.
Attachments
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg R High Relief MDD & DDO E.jpg
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg R High Relief MDD & DDO B.jpg
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg R High Relief MDD & DDO 19.jpg
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg High Relief MDD & DDO Y.jpg
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg High Relief MDD & DDO 72.jpg
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg R High Relief MDD & DDO R.jpg
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg R High Relief MDD & DDO T.jpg

AndyO
Site Admin

Re: 1972-S Design Peg Leg High Relief MDD & DDO

Post by AndyO » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:59 pm

The E and the B look to have some small notching. Everything else is mechanical the way it looks. The T is interesting. The glare is too much in the picture to tell, but now I'm sort of thinking it has some major mechanical doubling across the entire top bar. Usually the mint mark exhibits mechanical doubling faster than many other devices. I can't tell if it has any at all.

I wonder if perhaps it was double struck after looking further at the R and thinking more about the T.
Authorized CAC and QA dealer

K&I MAN

Post by K&I MAN » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:57 am

I've posted the remaining photos I have.

As for the evident dichotomy on this coin, MDD vs. DDO, I saw that too upon examination. I've seen countless MDD coins in every denomination. I've seen a score or so of true DDO including the '55 Lincoln DDO and '83 Lincoln DDR.

The "T" in this coin as well as the notching evident on some of the other letters SEEM to indicate true DDO BUT I've not seen a coin with both features until reading p. 33 - 34 Fig. 7 of "Collectible Ike Varieties" and now seeing what appears to be the exact coin didn't know one existed. However, I'd still like yours and other opinions. This is a neat coin.

Thanks for replying.
Attachments
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg R High Relief MDD & DDO OBVERSE.jpg
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg R High Relief MDD & DDO I.jpg
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg R High Relief MDD & DDO L.jpg
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg R High Relief MDD & DDO IN GOD TRUS.jpg
1972-S $1 Design Peg Leg R High Relief MDD & DDO GOD WE TRUST.jpg

SteveP
Global Moderater

Post by SteveP » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:15 pm

AOskam wrote:Usually the mint mark exhibits mechanical doubling faster than many other devices.
That's what I found wierd here. The MM does not suggest DSSD or MDD, even though other devices here do suggest at least some component of such.
Steve Palladino

Return to “1972-S SB "Shadow Ike” and the 1972(P) Type 2 March & August varieties”